Go Pro Advice

Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Go Pro Advice

Post by Manning »

I have been thinking of asking Santa for a GoPro Hero camera. Nothing fancy, just the basic camera. My main reason for wanting one is for tarpon fishing. My Kodak PlaySport that I have been using finally succumbed to the saltwater environment. Not sure how much I will really use it other than that. Would welcome some input from anybody that has one. What are the pros and cons. Is it worth the $130 investment for limited use.

I know DaveR would be glad to see me get a new camera. I missed some of his epoch battles last summer with my old one.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Re: Go Pro Advice

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Unless you are sightfishing, you are going to miss the first jump. You just can't be filming the whole while. Of course, this would be true with any camera.

The wide angle lens is very forgiving. I have my GoPro zipped-tied to my hat. No problem keeping the fish in frame, but you won't get any up-close and personal pics you would want with a traditional camera (GoPros do not have viewfinders).

Editing can be a real PITA. They require a tremendous amount of memory, the editing software is not super user-friendly, and each video must be re-formatted which can be a time-consuming process. Having said all that, I keep using mine, so the pro's outweigh the cons in my mind.

Here is a sample GoPro movie from last Tarpon Season:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/BvgMlPOhF-g?list=UUwiiZ ... O-wy2g5tvA[/youtube]

link: http://youtu.be/BvgMlPOhF-g?list=UUwiiZ ... O-wy2g5tvA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UT
Please, call me Kate
Walt_Trident13

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

I love my GoPro. I mounted it on a 3' piece of 1/2 PVC. When I'm fishing, I have it stuck behind me on my milk crate, where I have a 3/4" PVC zip tied so it slides right in. I have the GoPro setup using the One Button function so that when I get a strike, I reach around, and hit one button to turn on the camera and it automatically starts recording video. Once I get the fish in the kayak, I reach around and grab the pole and move it to scotty mount I have in front of me for the candid selfie shot. Or if I need to get an underwater shot, I just shove it under the water. I have the 2nd generation GoPro and have my settings at 720 60fps so that if I need to have some slow mo, I have 60 frames per second to play with rather than the usual 30. This makes for smoother slow motion video.
Fortunately for me, I'm a video editor/animator so I have all the software at home to color correct and edit. If I just want a single shot/picture of the catch, I can grab a single frame from the video.

Check out my videos for more ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BrentWalterSmith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Luck.
http://www.youtube.com/brentwaltersmith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

They now have a wireless remote for the hero 3 and 4 series. Once you hear DaveR's reel start to scream just click the remote and start filming.
0 0 1
Edward

Post by Edward »

I have one, I mount it on the GoPro mono-pod, approx. 8" tall with clamp. I usually have it clamped on the gunnel in front of me. I can swivel it around, face it up and down with one hand with a rod in my other. It's kind of stiff but improves with use. I read they have been used on motorcycles at 70 mph so the clamp really holds. I do miss some action as you can't follow it completely like a head mount would. My wife uses the mono-pod without the clamp just for anything she may video as it is easier to steady the camera than having that little light thing in your hand. The mount is way overpriced though. I really like the picture quality of such a small rugged camera, I do not take stills with it so I can't speak to that.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

If you're being price sensitive and are willing to look at knock offs you may want to consider this. Just be on th elook out for "fakes" ones. You can google that.

JB
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Steve. Get a Go Pro. That is all.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Santa dropped off the wireless remote to go with my Go pro 3. After toying with it for a few minutes I believe I'm ready, camera wise for Tarpon that is. Using the remote I believe I'll be able to capture the elusive first jump.
0 0 1
Ump608

Post by Ump608 »

For God's sake stay out of Canada!!!! The snow up there eats GoPro's!!!!!!

Not that I would have any first hand knowledge of such things......
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Ump608 wrote:For God's sake stay out of Canada!!!! The snow up there eats GoPro's!!!!!!

Not that I would have any first hand knowledge of such things......
Did somebody crash and burn in a little skiing adventure?
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

We'll never know since there is no footage. Hopefully Jackson Hole, Wy. treats him better this year.
0 0 1
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

maybe you would want to consider one of these....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ion-air-pro ... ksdevice=c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Or one of these...

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/13/technol ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.