They're still here!

Rik

They're still here!

Post by Rik »

This has been a frustrating tarpon season with only a couple hits that resulted in a broken line and thrown hook. Manning even said I was cursed in his video that he posted. Well, ladies and gents, one fish washes all of that frustration away.

Launched off a Siesta Key beach at 6:15 this morning in near darkness and headed out for bait. Five drops, five pinfish and I didn't have to paddle way off the beach to get them. Hmmmm, that was different.

I paddled around a bit hoping someone else would show up so I didn't have to hear all the "isn't it you who preaches to not tarpon fish alone?" comments but, hey, I'm a big boy go ahead and throw them at me. Besides, it's been such a rotten season that I was probably just going to float around talking to my dog for 3 hours anyway.

Picked a spot before seeing any fish and put out the anchor. The plan is to watch and then reposition when I see the lane they're in today. Get the anchor set, stab a pinfish with a 8/0 CIRCLE hook and cast it out. Then I settled back into my comfy Native seat and planned on almost napping for a couple hours.

Huh? What happen to my float? It hasn't been out there 10 minutes. Then zzzzzzzzzz and a bright flash of silver is in the air in front of my kayak. It lands like a VW falling from the sky and immediately jumps again. Wow, I might actually be hooked up to this fish! As it makes a run right towards the beach, it gets in the trough between the sandbar and the beach and jumps again to the delight of a beach walker and the turtle folks who all applaud. Then it heads to Mexico.

Thinking about the difficulty of landing them by yourself as it jumps 4 more times (7 total, 5 fully out of the water) I'm palming the spool hoping to break it off but 60 pound leader is just too much. Looks like I'm going to have to bring it alongside. Barnacle is fully engaged watching the rod tip intently. Every time he sees it jump he turns to me as if he's saying "did you see that?"

After about 15 minutes I get it alongside and make a mistake. You're supposed to open the bail when you lay down the rod to handle the fish. Oops, just about gave another rod and reel to the ocean but my cat like reflexes saved it. Time to fight it a it more but the end was near. She came back alongside in another minute or so.

Barnacle thinks all fish must die and tarpon are no exception so he got a good look

Then he thought better of his tough guy act and let me handle her.

As I was alone, there are no glory shots. Fish, rod, camera requires too many hands although I was trying to figure out how to do a selfie with the fish. Decided that hanging my head over the side probably wasn't a good idea.

Okay, the fish is alongside, the hook is out and now to revive the fish. I pull my about to patented Toe Tow Line (a 4 foot pice of parachute cord with a filed down 12/0 hook on one end and a toe loop on the other) and fix the hook in the tarpons mouth. It doesn't really stick in but just holds well enough to tow it then I start paddling. After a bit I feel some kicks and then a huge jerk that about takes my toe off. Fish gone and Toe Tow Line gone. Oh well, I can make another.

All the frustration with missed fish and no fish from the many mornings this season went away with the Toe Tow Line. They're all resting peacefully on the sea floor somewhere out there.

If this story of my overcoming adversity this tarpon season didn't bring a tear to your eye, here's a rainbow that came out shortly after the fish was released.

Yep, I'll be back out there tomorrow morning!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Flatz Komander

Re: They're still here!

Post by Flatz Komander »

Awesome report Rik! Congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Bravo RikB!
All together now.
ITSABOUTFUCKINGTIME!
:razz:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Great job. I have to tell you if that had been me I am not sure I would have tried to get those great shots you got. Well done.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

Great fish, great pictures, great report. Well done.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Epical!
Please, call me Kate
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

Very Nice. Good Job....Love seeing Barnacle enjoying the outing..
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Nice one Rik!
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Persistence pays off

Well done mate
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Just to show it wasn't a fluke, he did it again today!

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Well deserved.
0 0 1
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Doesn't count, you snagged it!!

Nice fish anyway. :mrgreen: