Tarpon Rig question

fishshooter99

Tarpon Rig question

Post by fishshooter99 »

Though a little late for the show, I just bought ky first tarpon rig (courtesy of Economy Tackle). After reading numorous threads on this forum I went with a Cabo 60 on a 8 foot Teramar xhvy with a fast tip. Filled with 50 lb pp and a 60 lb floro leader. I also picked up some 7/0 Xx Gamakatsu hooks.
The question I have is what should the drag be set on?
I will be on Anna Maria for the next two weeks, so if anyone wants a rookie fishing partner let me know.!
Thanks for the help,
Gary
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Tarpon Rig question

Post by DaveR »

Never measured the pounds. If I had to guess it would be about 10-12
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

You can tighten a too-loose drag, but all you can do is re-tie if the drag was too tight. Just sayin...
Please, call me Kate
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

You can tighten a too-loose drag, but all you can do is re-tie if the drag was too tight. Just sayin..
I've heard tales of folks that needed to buy all new gear because the drag was too tight.
0 0 1
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I've seen half a dozen rods explode, one dragged to Davey Jones Locker,and there was even a foul mouthed Irishman out there who had a $600 fancy shmancy Van Stahl reel crap out on him. As Walt said. Tackle up!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

It's Van Staal. Now I know how Hedley Lamarr felt. Once in 16 years give the old girl some respect. She did just fine this past week.
0 0 1
Rik

Post by Rik »

Van Steal
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Want to borrow my Scuba gear and look for your?
0 0 1
Rik

Post by Rik »

shamus wrote:Want to borrow my Scuba gear and look for your?
Touché

Oh, and use circle hooks so your hook doesn't end up damaging important and sensitive parts of the fish
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley