Best time to fish

fishshooter99

Best time to fish

Post by fishshooter99 »

I plan to drive from Atlanta to AMI tomorrow evening, fish Thu,Fri, Sat and drive back Sunday. So why drive the 1200 or so miles for three days with lackluster tides and a pitiful Solar lunar outlook? Because that's the only time I have available and consequently the perfect time to fish. I'd love to hear some surefire tactics for just such a scenario.,! Any thoughts?
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
AaronM

Re: Best time to fish

Post by AaronM »

Outgoing tides seem to be the best lately. At least hit some kind of moving water. Find some bottlenecks in mangrove islands and cast plastics. Reds will find them eventually. I have had decent luck while drifting. You can cover a large area that way. Hope this helps.

2013 Native Mariner Propel 12.5
Paddles belong in the Frat House :pirate:
2013 Hobie PA 14
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Well...the tides we can't do to much about. Sounds like you're just wanting to get away. Some thoughts...

Right now the water is gin clear - the reds I've been getting on have been more like bonefishing. Lots of sight fishing and they are really spooky. Really long casts has helped. With the lackluster tide I had a couple/few weeks ago it was game on right on the switch and nothing the rest of the day - a friend of mine who is hammering the snook swears that's the only time he catches snook - last of the outgoing. Dunno about that, but he's really good on snook.

I've been using a Zmann new-penny 4" paddletail that has been great on trout and pretty good on reds. Slow jig for trout, simple retrieve for reds. I've been fishing the transition zones of where a patch of grass meets sand. They had been hanging in the dark stuff for camo/ambush and I suspect to warm up. Big trout have been in the super skinny stuff - 12" or so. Reds - up to about 3' of water.

If you're looking for flounder - white plastic jig on the bottom. Slow presentation. Really slow.

I would also have a top water plug - white, and a gold spoon (you may not get size, but it catches everything). Personally I like the paddle tail because it's a lure that can cover multiple columns and be presented in a variety of manners.

My $.02.
JB
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

Thanks for the info guys. Went out this afternoon and found some really stiff wind out of the south. Managed one small suicidal snook, two medium sized jacks, and two mangroves. One of the mangroves actually broke my 20 lb leader. Oh, the mangroves were of the tree variety not the snapper variety.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

For as windy as it was it sounds like a pretty good day.
Friday is going to be tough to fish anywhere. Saturday wind from the West, maybe Joe Island.
Good luck.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

If you have a kayak, try the area at the east end, north side, of the draw bridge out to AMI. There are two islands one near and one a bit further and acres of grass flats in between from the beach all the way out to the channel. One of my FAV spots.