Rudder Question!!

hector_750

Rudder Question!!

Post by hector_750 »

need some input on a rudder. I mostly fish on the local river (Peace River) and All my fishing is down river, in other words I let the current carry me along as I fish, but the problem I'm having is that my yak keeps drifting side ways and wont stay on a straight track, So my question is will a rudder help me out even thou the current is moving from behing the kayak to the front?? Oh i have a wilderness ride 115 if that helps
Rik

Re: Rudder Question!!

Post by Rik »

Yes it will help.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Another option would be a drift chute. Quite often when drifting in the wind I throw out the chute which keeps the wind at my back.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

I'm guessing for the chute to work,
it would be best to tie up front.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Yeah I really didn't think that chute in the river thing through. My bad.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

If you can find a old window sash weight at a salvage yard, you can drag it to slow your drift and keep the boat from turning.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Be careful of using a drift chute wile drifting that river. Any underwater snag that you cant see might catch that chute, and then you would have some troubles.

A rudder would be the prefect fit.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

I have a '12 Ride 135 and a '13 Tarpon 140 both with rudders. While the majority of my fishing is salt water I do trout fish the rivers in North Georgia a few times a year. It has been my experience that the rudders are totally useless while drifting in the rivers. The reason is the kayak and the water are moving about the same speed so from the rudders perspective it is sitting still. I have kicked my rudder all the way to one side with no noticeable change. I use a drag weight on my anchor rope and run it all the way to the back with my trolley when drifting. Works like a champ. I second the old window weight idea. Some of the weights that my friends use are: a couple of feet section of heavy chain, or a regular round weight from a weight set. Good luck
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I've rode the tide out at Chokoloskee from the inside all the way out to the flats and never paddled more than a couple of time, all by using my rudder.

I would again warn using a drag anchor or chute in any of our rivers. Too many snags to catch.

But hey, to each his own.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Thanks for the info, I kinda figured it wouldn't do much good since both traveling in the same direction, glad someone with experience on that subject helped me out save me $200..not sure what a window weight is but ill check in to it.
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Just googled it, I think I have something similar. Thanks!
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

A foot or two of fairly light chain works well with few hangups. However, do attach chain to rope with 'plastic quick tie' so you can snap the rope free of chain if you do hang up.
As far as trout stream, draging anything along bottom is pretty much frowned upon.
Rik

Post by Rik »

All of these responses have merit however I noticed one thing. Some are talking about slow moving water like the Peace River, Myakka River and tidal flow at Chokoloskee. Others are talking about much faster moving water like the streams in Georgia. In slow moving water rudders work just fine. In faster water not so much. In fact, in faster water the rudder will create surface for the water to push against.

Frankly, I wouldn't drag anything along the bottom in any of our rivers down here. IMO you'll spend a lot of time trying to get unsnagged.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Here is what a window sash weight looks like Hector.

I've used these on Florida rivers in a Gheenoe and never really had a problem with them getting hung. I may have had to occasionally paddle back upstream and tug it a couple of times to pull it free but I don't remember ever loosing a weight. I've tried chain but it seemed like is was less resistance on the bottom and required a lot longer scope to get the same effect.
The advantage of a drag over a rudder is that you can adjust your drift speed by letting rope in or out, or stop completely in some conditions. I tie three loops in the rope to fit over a cleat, one for the average depth and another 8 or 10 ft longer for the deeper sections, and another to hang the weight a couple feet under the boat for paddling past a barren stretch.
I've used the rudder and the drag in different situations and for me the rudder is a better and easier option in a real slow current or a wind drift over the flats, but it doesn't slow you down if the river current is moving too fast for good lure presentation. I would rather hit a likely looking spot 2 or 3 times with a slow moving bait, than drifting the speed of the current and casting once every 50 feet to what ever is there. If you can find one, try it out and see if it works for you.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Hillbilly
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Hillbilly »

Rivers present different problems than tidal flow. In the rivers that I fish "up nort" in Arkansas people sometimes use a "Drag Chain". Problem with these is proper length for the Flow, and the size of the craft. I have used a 18"-24" Heavy Chain (1 1/2 link) for a 20' flat bottom boat, and a 8"-12" for my Kayak in a pretty fast flow. Personally I would take several different lengths to figure what length would work for the River on any given day. The length of the line you attach to can make a difference also.
One note, chain doesn't hang up as much as a solid weight, but when it does you need to be able to turn it loose FAST! No Anchor is more important than You or your Gear! I like to attach a float to the line, so I can go back a retrieve a "Stuck" chain.
Just my way, bound to be others some better some worse.
Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs
Likewise Enticed by Over Easy Eggs
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Yea no trout fishing here, mostly bass and if ur lucky a snook. Current moves slow, and the river can get very shallow, so a rudder wouldn't help there. Usually after I skim across a few inches of water there is a nice deep hole at the end with nice size bass! That reminds me of the 2 bad hook sets I had the other day!! :scratch: anyways thank you all for the help! Maybe ill post some pics of my catch for the day! Almost sounds like a good thread to start, "catch of the day"