Adventure Fishing World Championship 2014

Rik

Adventure Fishing World Championship 2014

Post by Rik »

Congrats to Steve M. Gibson and Casey Brunning for taking 1st Place in this grueling tournament put on by Native Kayaks!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DoubleM

Re: Adventure Fishing World Championship 2014

Post by DoubleM »

Indeed, congratulations to both of them for the win and props to those others who were brave enough to sign up/participate.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

Thanks. It was a tough event. My teammate ended up getting lost in the glades the day before the event. Long story. Short version- left their kayaks and walked out. Left camp to retrieve kayaks and took them till 4:30 the morning of the tournament to get back. Casey is a machine! We launched and headed to out first check point. We caught our first fish within 30 min. Turned our token in and headed to next checkpoint. After a 2 1/2 paddle we arrived at our 2nd checkpoint. We fished for about an hr. Nothing. This checkpoint was giving everyone trouble. We were running out of time. I look over and see Casey had fallen asleep. At this point I figured we gave up. I paddle over to Casey and woke him up. He had that im done look on his face. He casted his jig out and boom he hooks uo with a nice snook. This checkpount happend to be a double points checkpoint. After measuring the fish we realized we were still in the game. We were heading to our third checkpoint when we realized the was no way we would make it there and back in time. After a quick look at the map we notices we had read the map wrong. Which saved us in the end. Thete was a much closer checkpoint we could hit. When I say closer I mean 6 mile round trip versus a 9 mile round trip. We made it to our last checkpoint with only 15min to fish. All we needed was a dink trout so we could haul butt back to weigh in. I lost a dink trout at the boat. With 2 min left to fish I hooked up with a nice fish. Got it measured amd headed back. We made jt back with 10 min to spare. All day long it was paddle faster. No stopping or slowi g down. Just had to keep pushing yourself. Having a good teammate is a huge plus. You will need to motivate each other to win this event. Only 3 teams hit 3 check points to qualify. Heard alot of arguing on the water. That will get you no where in this event. If anyone is going to try to qualify for this event next year, choose your partner wisely. This event will challenge you in many ways.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Congratulations
Credo quia absurdum
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Nice. That looks like a fun event. Congrats.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Congrats Steve.

So, where were all those guys with the Hobies at this year? All I heard last year was how everyone was getting a Hobie so they could "dominate" this year.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Steve - were you paddling or pedaling?

How many teams actually made it to the required 3 checkpoints? Anyone make it to all 4?

From the sounds of it, they should change the name from Adventure to Endurance.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shallow pockets

Only 3 teams out of 50 made it to all three checkpounts and turned in fish. I was paddling. I have never been a fan of peddle craft. They do have a place and that place is not on the flats. This is my opinion. All day long I watched people get hung up in the shallows and the grass. My teammate was in a Hobie outback. He had to take the long way around to get to most spots where I was cutting across. He was a beast though. He was paddling and peddling at the same time to keep up with me. I felt really bad for the Hobie PA guys. I noticed lots of these guys had thier kayaks loaded down with gear. For this tourny I packed light. No crate full of crap I wont use, 3 rods and 1 tackle sleeve. All ya need

No one made all 4 checkpoints. Impossible unless you spent 0 time fishing.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Congrats Steve, job well done.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Well Done! Tough Mudder meets paddle fishing!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
shallow pockets

21.3 miles :pukeright:
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

shallow pockets wrote: If anyone is going to try to qualify for this event next year, choose your partner wisely. This event will challenge you in many ways.
You have to "qualify" for this? I thought you just had to sign up?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
shallow pockets

If you fished tye year prior your automatically in. If you have never fished an afwc you have to qualify. Check their website for more info
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by rugrat181 »

Congrats to Steve and Casey. This sounds like a true test of endurance along with fishability ! Cudos also too any and all who participated in what sounds like a tremendous event !!

:salute: :salute: :salute:
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

It was a tough one this year. I got good fish and made 3 check points but DQ'ed because I made a bad decision navigating and came back in a half hour late...
shallow pockets

Navigation is key. Just making it to 3 checkpoints is an accomplishment. Well done Dave
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff