another weedon island question

frederjj

another weedon island question

Post by frederjj »

I'm pretty new to the whole fishing game but have been out to weedon a couple of times in my canoe, including last tuesday (caught a nice 19" trout and a 20" snook). I was pretty happy with it, but was really looking for some reds... nothing. I never know if i'm doing the right thing or are the fish just somewhere else. This leads me to my question, I primarily just went around the parimeter trying some cuts, flats, and a few bays. Does anyone fish the interior sections (like the areas within the poly, see link)? Or am i on the right track?

http://imgur.com/oRAqoBn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edward

Re: another weedon island question

Post by Edward »

I have spent a lot of time in the lower end of your chart but other than isolated reds I've never tore it up except one time years ago. A school of 17"ers hanging with some mullet I picked on for an hour or so. I usually go to Weedon looking for snook and I'm probably missing a lot. I have some lesser known areas when I'm after reds, they aren't as spooky. There is so much water at Weedon to look at it takes awhile to learn it. Though you may paddle 5 miles roundtrip, I only have maybe 5 prime spots I favor. Weedon is one of my favorite big trout locations if the wind is down. I like to go a few hundred yards out in front of Weedon, out in the Bay fishing the sand patches. You may also get lucky and get a chance to throw at a cobia.