Fishing For Your Supper (pic heavy)

Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Fishing For Your Supper (pic heavy)

Post by Uncle Tommy »

The lovely Miss Daniela and I just returned from our annual end of the year camping trip. While we do quite a bit of camping in the agreeable months, this trip is always special because we like to add a challenge. Last year, we targeted four species of fish she had never caught; Sheepshead, Mayan Cichlids, Snook, and Tarpon. The last was a bit of a pipe dream, but she managed to accomplish all four, including a baby Tarpon on the flyrod.

This year the challenge was to live off of the land. We would have to scavenge or catch every bit of nourishment for three days and two nights. We both agreed that it would be relatively easy to jig up trout so we also left the artificials at home.

We staked out our camp on the morning of the day after Christmas. The oyster bed upon which she is standing would prove to be a source of both sustenance and bait.

The forecast called for rain on day 2 so we added a canopy to the camp to ride out the weather.

We took our time making camp, then went on a short recon of the island to scout for firewood, but soon our thoughts were on our next meal. The most readily available food source seemed to be the oysters over which we had dragged our boats. These are not the Apalachicola sized beauties you slurp down in restaurants. They are small, twisted, and SHARP!. We ruined two perfectly good folding knives and 20 perfectly good fingers, but it was worth every slice. We shucked a couple dozen into a zip-lock bag and proceeded to fry two of them on the camp stove. If we didn't get sick, we'd fry the rest an hour or so later. It was tough to wait it out. They were the best fried oysters either of us had ever had. Nothing fancy. Just a little olive oil and salt from the ocean. When the big hand hit the twelve, it was time to feast.

Having satisfied the hunger pangs, it was time to gather the firewood we had scouted earlier. As my camping buddies can attest, I am a bit of a pyromaniac when it comes to campfires. Apparently, the gene did not skip a generation. We quickly had the makings of a beauty.

A couple of palm stumps were left on the island by previous campers (who would bring a chainsaw to a preserve?). They will burn if the fire is hot enough.

Day 2 was all business. I set out to look for more firewood (yes, we burned ever piece on the island) while Dani tended camp. I had remembered a cache of cleared pines and oaks from 2 years ago and was pleased to find it still there.

When I returned to camp, I was pleased to find Daniela shucking our next meal

While turning over clumps of oysters, we found a couple dozen mud crabs. Those would be our bait for our upcoming Sheepshead quest. Rigged up and ready to go, we paddled over to some bridge pilings. As we arrived, I realized we had a couple old friends with us. Daniela's Tarpon 140 originally belonged to Cook-N-Fish and this was one of his old winter haunts we used to fish together. The rod and reel I was using was one of JayB's. I like to break it out on special occasions. We got anchored up, lashed together, and Dani took to the first cast. That crab didn't hit the bottom before it got blasted. She pulled him out of the pilings and into the boat like RayH was watching. This would be our first real meal in two days.

She caught two more and I caught one. Out of the four fish, one was short, but three would feed us for dinner, late supper, and breakfast. We left while the bite was still hot and I couldn't have cared less.

A quick filet and the first fish was in the pan

A very satisfying second day. We stayed up to watch this...

...but we didn't stay up much longer

Having food in the cooler, we did a little exploring on day 3 and met a few friends we didn't eat

Took our time breaking camp and paddled back to the launch with thoughts of hamburgers.

I don't know if I would ever do it again, but if I did, I know who I would want to have with me.

UT
Please, call me Kate
Rik

Re: Fishing For Your Supper (pic heavy)

Post by Rik »

Bravo Daniela and Tommy! Bravo!

And Happy Birthday Tommy. End of a decade for you my friend.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Looks like a great time, I miss those days as a kid, just strike out and go. Way to go. :thumbright:
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Bravo! Happy Birthday my friend.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Excellent tale Tommy.
Credo quia absurdum
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Love it Thomas.......Cherish those moments.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Most excellent Tommy, very nice doins! :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Thank you for sharing.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
RAB82

Post by RAB82 »

That camping trip looked like a blast. Was that all of yalls gear on the kayaks in the first pic? If so that is some efficient packing!
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

We took all the gear in one trip. The Native Ultimate packs up pretty well. I had a 10 x 10 canopy, an 8 man tent, a couple of camp chairs, and a cooler on board. Wouldn't have wanted to do an open water crossing, but it made a nice short distance barge.
Please, call me Kate
chipm

Post by chipm »

Very, very cool
Chip
UrbanLegend

Post by UrbanLegend »

That's cool. I can't wait until my kids are old enough.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Most excellent I miss those island camping trips.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Not sure which one of you I would tab as the lucky one....enjoyed your pictures Tommy :cool: Curious as to where you went....
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld