winter fishing

Thrasher

winter fishing

Post by Thrasher »

Ok I'm new to kayaking and i have never done it in the winter i see that there is a day in December that everyone will be going out. My question is what do you wear and do different from summer fishing I'm guessing scupper plugs are a must. But how do u stay mostly dry and warm
Rik

winter fishing

Post by Rik »

Breathable waders if it gets cold and/or you're a wader. Neoprene are too hot. For most, waist high are sufficient but many wear the full height. Waders should be stocking foot not with built in boots.

Wading boots - you'll need to get some a couple sizes larger than normal to fit over the stocking foot of the waders.

We play on the water so clothes that won't keep you warm if they are wet are a no-no. Cotton is bad. Fleece, wind proof jackets, etc are good.

Plus, a flask with 'anti-freeze' comes in handy at times.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: winter fishing

Post by jbdba01 »

Thrasher wrote:My question is what do you wear and do different from summer fishing I'm guessing scupper plugs are a must. But how do u stay mostly dry and warm
Rik hit most of it, but I find a buff is a must (keeps the wind off ears, neck, face) - and I've been know to wear a ski cap. At minimum a hat (not a visor) of some type. This year I may take 2 buffs. A hood on a jacket can work as well.

I've worn thermals and warmup pants under the waders too - but that was when it was about 45 degrees to start the morning and a 10 mph wind. It wasn't unusual to wade 4-5 hours and after a while you will get cold. Especially if the water temp is in the 60's.

I'll layer my shirts - long sleeve quik wik (sleeves will dry faster than cotton), followed by 1 or 2 T shirts. As I warm up I take a shirt off and drop it in my waders.

Things are easier if you have a kayak to store stuff in or get out of the water. but most of my winter wading does not involve a kayak.

Here's a sample of how I/we dress up...

Here's Heywood's winter time fishing tactics.

Lastly I may wait for the water temp to warm up some - so many times it's an late morning/afternoon bite vs a morning bite/fish trip.
JB
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Shorts, tshirt and sometimes a light jacket.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Vlap wrote:Shorts, tshirt and sometimes a light jacket.
Finally someone speaking some sense.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

You guys are much tougher than I am. There's only one thing worse than being cold - that's cold and wet.

I don't nut up any more - if it's in the upper 40's / lower 50's I'll even put on thermals.
JB
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

Born and raised in Florida as long as my chest and arms are warm I'm good to go.
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

...or just move to South Florida and keep wearing your warm weather stuff!
Wuluf
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

No waders,microfiber long johns and some quick dry pants and a beanie to wear over your hat until the sun comes up. :sunny:
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Pip

Post by Pip »

A towel to dry my feet and dry pair of socks; Beanie for my head and a Buff for my neck; wicking short sleeve shirt with a long sleeve shirt over. A light jacket for before the sun...then the layers start to go. My light rain pants over shorts if real cold. No cotton but stuff that will dry quick.

Don't know about you guys but I usually wait a day or two to fish after a strong front comes through. By then it usually warms up a bit so cold cold clothes aren't needed.
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

no reason to fish before 10:30. Just sleep in and let it warm up.
0 0 1
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

shamus wrote:no reason to fish before 10:30. Just sleep in and let it warm up.
10:30 or March
Credo quia absurdum
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Welcome yo the smart side!!
0 0 1