Health Warning!!! Please read. This is serious stuff

Rik

Health Warning!!! Please read. This is serious stuff

Post by Rik »

http://m.clickorlando.com/news/Official ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll quote just a few parts of the article. Please go read the whole thing when you get a chance.
PALM COAST, Fla. -

Central Florida health officials are warning residents about seawater bacteria after a man died from exposure this week.

Authorities in Flagler and Volusia counties are advising residents to avoid eating raw shellfish and exposing open wounds in seawater.
Yes, it kills people.
Statewide, 29 cases and nine deaths have been linked to the bacteria this year.
9 dead people this year
Vibrio vulnificus is a bacterium that normally lives in warm seawater and is in the same family as cholera. Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
Our kayak fishing friends in Texas have been dealing with this for years. I guess it was only a matter of time before it became a big issue in Florida. Learn all you can about this stuff. Take the necessary precautions.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Heywood

Re: Health Warning!!! Please read. This is serious stuff

Post by Heywood »

I'm not fishing until the water gets cooler.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Heywood wrote:I'm not fishing until the water gets cooler.
You weren't catching anyway! :lol:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Lots of open sores, Hey-Hey?
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

22acrowd wrote:
Lots of open sores, Hey-Hey?
Yeah, don't want your wife getting it either.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

:-B
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

I have to say that I read this post and then fished the next day at Cockroach. I was actually thinking about changing locations, but then I thought I was being a bit paranoid. If I had open cuts on my hands, feet and legs...I may have canceled my outing. I certainly did not wade as much as I usually do.
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Don't want to "get it" from your wife either!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

Another East coast fatality

Scary stuff. Infected and died in just under 3 days. Supposedly people with compromised immune systems are at greatest risk.
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

from Another East coast fatality http://tbo.com/health/31-in-fla-infecte ... -20131011/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While such occurrences could potentially concern officials in states with hundreds of miles of coastline and economies largely dependent on ocean-related tourism, experts say the bacteria is nothing most people should worry about. Vibrio bacteria exist normally in salt water and generally only affect people with compromised immune systems, they say. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. If the bacteria get into the bloodstream, they provoke symptoms including fever and chills, decreased blood pressure and blistering skin wounds.

But there’s no need to stop swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, says Diane Holm, a spokeswoman for the state health department in Lee County, which has had a handful of cases that included one fatality this year.

“This is nothing abnormal,” she said. “We don’t believe there is any greater risk for someone to swim in the Gulf today than there was yesterday or 10 years ago.”
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Now its 30 people infected in Florida this year, with 10 fatalities.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/1 ... alt-water/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems most of the cases I have heard of in the past are inland bays and bayous during the warm months. Unfortunately that's the places and time of year most of us enjoy kayak fishing. Since I never heard of this while growing up here, I'm guessing this bacteria could be the result of more pollution and less tidal flow or flushing in these areas due to dredging, bridges, and loss of sea grass.
One suggestion might be breathable waders when fishing these backwaters areas. They are certainly not as comfortable as shorts, but Cabela's has the waist high breathable that are pretty good. If you wear shorts you might keep a bottle of alcohol back at the car to rub on your legs and feet. Don't know it this would stop an infection, but it might and it only cost a few cents and takes a couple of minutes. Another thought might be carrying some peroxide and crazy glue for any small cuts that you get while on the water. And if you throw a cast net for bait this time of year, you might want to throw the lead line over your shoulder rather than holding it in your teeth.
Its a jungle out there.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.