Govt. Shutdown is going to cancel my trip to Flamingo. Help!

ruskinTR

Govt. Shutdown is going to cancel my trip to Flamingo. Help!

Post by ruskinTR »

Ok guys....if the govt. fails to pass a budget, Everglades Nat. Park is going to shut down 2 days before my 30th bday trip to Flamingo. I have a room at the Florida City Travelodge, arriving Wednesday night, with fishing Thursday and Friday. I'm debating canceling the trip, but the drive from the hotel to flamingo is about the same as to Islamorada, so the upper keys are within reach. I have never kayak fished the area.

We are geared for everything from Trout to Tarpon. If anyone could help me come up with a backup plan, I would really appreciate it, as it would be saving a trip I've been planning for a long time.
cag215

Re: Govt. Shutdown is going to cancel my trip to Flamingo. H

Post by cag215 »

Everglades National Park is open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. How do you close something that is always open?

http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/hours.htm
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut".
Ernest Hemingway
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

You may also want to consider a motel in Key Largo. That would put you in the upper portion of Florida Bay. You could Google the location of public parks and boat launches in the Upper Keys, assuming you need a kayak launch. There should be trout and jacks and maybe some tarpon and barracuda. Good luck
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

cag215 wrote:Everglades National Park is open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. How do you close something that is always open?

Park rangers are considerd nonessential staff, and will be furloughed if congress doesn't fund the government by midnight.

You may want to gonsider the other side of the glades if you can cancel your hotel reservation. The 10K Islands have more public access points that do not require the park system than does the east side of the park. You can launch from a few places in Chokoloskee and Everglades City as well as Port of the Isles and Goodland. The fishing is different, but just as good. I hope that you get to take your trip as planned. Good luck.
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

Crap I am planning a trip as well when shutdown supposed to occur

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

We are the government and we are here to help.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Evan

Post by Evan »

ChrisR wrote:You may want to gonsider the other side of the glades if you can cancel your hotel reservation. The 10K Islands have more public access points that do not require the park system than does the east side of the park. You can launch from a few places in Chokoloskee and Everglades City as well as Port of the Isles and Goodland. The fishing is different, but just as good.
I was going to say this exact same thing. Save yourself 4 hours of drive time and fish Choko instead.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

At least get ya some Dion's chicken! I'm sorry man. I wondered if anyone here would be impacted. Where did I put that pitchfork?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

cag215 wrote:Everglades National Park is open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. How do you close something that is always open?

Simple, they send Betty home and lock the gates.....
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

Flamingo is closed per Miami news this morning. Fish Key Largo Blackwater sound. Put in at Florida Bay Outfitters on your right as you head south. Fish the docks on your way south to dusenberry creek.

Garden cove is just ok. It is behind the Circle K right when you come into key largo. Go to the outside of rattlesnake key to fish the ocean flat. Big baracuda are common there.

Islamorada is easy to reach as well. Florida City is an easy drive to any of these places.

Check to see if Pennekamp is open. If you launch from there you can fish El Radabob key which holds bonefish.
Wuluf
Rik

Post by Rik »

krash wrote:Simple, they send Betty home and lock the gates.....
I don't get why they have to lock the gates. Send Betty home (sorry Betty) and leave the gates open. I don't need anything from Betty when I go there. I've never had any need for any of the Rangers. I drove in, parked at the launch and went fishing. That's pretty much what happens at every state or federal park I visit.

The only thing Betty ever did was take my money as I went through the gate. Leave the gates open. I promise I'll leave no trace, will most likely bring home trace from other folks and will have words with folks who I see leaving a trace.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Rik wrote:I promise I'll leave no trace, will most likely bring home trace from other folks and will have words with folks who I see leaving a trace.
Unfortunately, you are probably the exception and not the rule on this. Personally, especially with Flamingo, I'd rather see it closed than have it be a free for all down there. I can only imagine how quickly the trash will pile up, the facilities get vandalized, and, god forbid, the wildlife harrassed and/or ilegally harvested more than already happens. It is sad, but I don't believe many share that same values that are common among our group here.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Rik wrote: I promise I'll leave no trace, will most likely bring home trace from other folks and will have words with folks who I see leaving a trace.
If everyone treated our Parks this way, there'd be no need for Betty, but unfortunately that just isn't the case.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Post by Rik »

Interesting note - all of the National Monuments and Parks in DC are closed except for First Amendment activities. The sign reads: "Because of the federal government shutdown, this National Park Service area is closed, except for First Amendment activities."

So, go to Everglades and call your fishing a First Amendment free exercise of religion. Or go with a couple people and peaceably assemble around a fishing hole. Or talk about your need for a governmental redress of grievances - your grievance obviously being that the park is closed.

Might help if you wear one of these hats

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Evan wrote:
Rik wrote: I promise I'll leave no trace, will most likely bring home trace from other folks and will have words with folks who I see leaving a trace.
If everyone treated our Parks this way, there'd be no need for Betty, but unfortunately that just isn't the case.
Betty collects the cash and tells you the skeeter warning level....

I hear that Choko is also closed down, at least any part within Park boundries, but the same report said Rangers will patrol, issue tickets or arrest trespassers... Sad thing is the small business affected, like Capt. Wright, will loose, the government employees will likely get back pay as part of the final agreement to restart the government, or maybe they will keep it shut down and out-source it all to India and China.
Last edited by krash on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

krash wrote:I hear that Choko is also closed down, at least any part within Park boundries, but the same report said Rangers will patrol, issue tickets or assest...
If the rangers are going to patrol anyway....why in hades is the f_ing park closed??????????? Sorry, My bad - I was mixing Guvment and logic. :oops:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?