Scalloping success

justabucup

Scalloping success

Post by justabucup »

So I took a recommendation and booked a trip with Capt. Marrio. http://www.talltaleschartersfl.com/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;! First attempt was rained out a couple of weeks ago but yesterday on the second try we had a bonanza of a day. We met Marrio at 8:30 at Pete's Pier and headed out. Chrystal River is a beautiful area and certainly earns the name Nature Coast. Marrio stopped the boat in what I would call the middle of nowhere but having a guide that knows what he is doing was well worth the investment. Marrio gave us a quick tutorial on what to look for and we all jumped into the 3 foot depths of the flat. The water was clear with a good 20 foot of visibility. I thought I was doing pretty well until I saw my girlfriends bag and then when I saw Marrio's bag. Let me say I must suck at scalloping but I was far to distracted by the sponges corals and all the fish I could see. We came back to Pete's Pier we hand fed some rather large tarpon by hand ala Robbies down in Marathon. We took our catch over to the Plantation resort to have the scallops cleaned while we enjoyed cocktails and a late lunch at the tiki bar. We had a great time and Marrio is a fun person to be on the water with. I highly recommend him and while not again this season I will look forward to seeing him next year.
Credo quia absurdum
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Scalloping success

Post by Manning »

Sounds like a great family trip Buck. Thanks for sharing.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

$?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

DaveR wrote:$?
http://www.talltaleschartersfl.com/#!contact/cyha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

DaveR wrote:$?
Night at Days Inn $58.50 (this is a week day rate and weekends tend to be sold out and rates go up)
Day for two with Marrio $250 and I gave him a $50 tip
6 Gallons of scallops cleaned and bagged $30
Dinner breakfast and lunch about $100 (Cody's Road House, Denny's and The Plantation resort Tiki Bar)
Round trip on fuel about $60.

I know there are some operations that take out larger groups for about $75 per person. But I am sure those guides aren't in the water with you showing you scallops and what to look for and helping you with your catch.

You can clean the scallops yourself but I was on vacation and did not want to struggle on a learning curve and submit my girlfriend with a scallop stinking boyfriend in the car for a couple of hours ride home.

Cost per pound is off the charts but the experience was worth every cent.

Scallop ceviche and fried scallops for dinner on Saturday. I will post picks of said meal.
Credo quia absurdum
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Nice haul Buc. We have been going with a group of friends to Homosassa for many years. Once you get the hang of it finding them is very easy and not rocket science. Just go out to where you see a bunch of boats and start swimming and looking.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Just go out to where you see a bunch of boats and start swimming and looking.
I would feel a bit like a potlicker doing that and it was not long after we anchored that we were soon surrounded by other boats. Marrio even commented that because he had a tower it was a magnet to other boats.
Credo quia absurdum
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

A bot from Bradentucky on a tower boat? Who knew? :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

justabucup wrote:
I would feel a bit like a potlicker doing that and it was not long after we anchored that we were soon surrounded by other boats. Marrio even commented that because he had a tower it was a magnet to other boats.
Me thinks Mario may be a bit proud of himself. Finding scallops is not rocket science, you can basically stop anywhere and find them.

Too bad we can't paddle to them, that would be a lot of fun.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

justabucup wrote:
I would feel a bit like a potlicker doing that
Buc, you're still a "potlicker"! :cool:

With scallops! :thumbright:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

We went out today and got our limit with 4 people in about 3 hours. Never been before it was fun. Didnt expect the curre nt to be so strong.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Great report, glad you had a good time. :thumbleft:
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve