Scalloping

gks0409

Scalloping

Post by gks0409 »

Hey guys my mother in law wants to get a scalloping charter for my father in law. Has anybody had any experiences with any captains good or bad. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: Scalloping

Post by sfurman »

PM sent.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I am looking for the same thing as well as any decent places to stay a night or two. Also I have time off in the first couple of weeks in August. Will the scallops be played out by then?
Credo quia absurdum
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

The best bet is Homosassa or Crystal River. The scallops are very plentiful in that area. Finding a place to stay the night now might be tough and it is pretty much only accessible by boat since it is a very very long paddle down the river and out into the Gulf flats to get to where the scallops are. I have scalloped out of there but it was many years ago. I go to Steinhatchee now but that is because I have a place up there. The scalloping there is not quite as good this year but they are there. There are places to go by kayak up that way though.

I don’t know any places to stay since it is only 1 hour north of my house. This web site is a good place to start looking. http://www.homosassaflorida.com/activities/scalloping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be prepared for a mad house of boats on the weekends too. There will be plenty in September believe it or not.
Steve
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

sfurman wrote:The best bet is Homosassa or Crystal River. The scallops are very plentiful in that area. Finding a place to stay the night now might be tough and it is pretty much only accessible by boat since it is a very very long paddle down the river and out into the Gulf flats to get to where the scallops are. I have scalloped out of there but it was many years ago. I go to Steinhatchee now but that is because I have a place up there. The scalloping there is not quite as good this year but they are there. There are places to go by kayak up that way though.

I don’t know any places to stay since it is only 1 hour north of my house. This web site is a good place to start looking. http://www.homosassaflorida.com/activities/scalloping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be prepared for a mad house of boats on the weekends too. There will be plenty in September believe it or not.
Thanks for the info!
Credo quia absurdum
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

This guy has been at Mike Anderson's "Fishing Conversation" at Gator Ford a couple of times. Mike uses Red Ed for his own scalloping charter. Heard him speak twice myself. Sounds to me like he'd be a good one to spend a half day/whole day of scalloping with.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

That's the guy I PMed to gks0409. It is kind of late in the season, now a days you gotta make your plans months in advance. Too darn many people. But he may be able to help even if he is booked up.
Steve
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

Thanks guys
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Went scalloping last Saturday
It would be a long paddle.
It would be best to go by boat. This year they were in a little deeper water, but plentiful.

We always put in at weeki Wachee or even further south at Hernando beach. Yes the best scalloping is around Homosassa, but it is a short motorboat ride about 10 miles from Weeki wachee.

I rather motor north 10 miles than deal with the boat traffic at Homosassa

Launching at Homosassa is just a crazy amount of boat traffic.

If you go my boat you have to get a early spot, because the boat ramps and trailer parking goes quick
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Went up Wed. night and had a guide for Thurs. AM. We got rained out but rescheduled in a couple weeks. The guide I got is Mario Costello. Really fun guy for the time we spent with him deciding if storms would pass or not.
Credo quia absurdum