Tuesday Morning Goat Rodeo

Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Tuesday Morning Goat Rodeo

Post by Manning »

My Tueday fishing trip to the west side of Sarasota Bay turned into a goat rodeo. Just to set the stage let me say that I had pulled a muscle in my back loading my kayak on my truck that morning and I had not caught any fish up to the point the following took place so I was in a bit of a shit mood to begin with.

I was sitting just off a sand bar when I heard a boat coming in behind me at full speed. I turned just in time to see one of those mullet netting boat heading for the sandbar at full throttle. The sandbar had less than a foot of water on it. I though this should be interesting and I can’t figure out what he is doing since I didn’t see any mullet to speak of in that area. Just before he reaches the sandbar a guy in the back of the boat throws out a big orange float and he starts dumping net. He kicked the boat up on the port side and carved a big circle around the area of the sandbar, all the time dumping the net. Just about the time he had completed his circle I hear other boats coming in behind me. They too are at full speed and heading towards the sandbar. Each boat has a bunch of people in it. They ran the first two boats completely up on the bar, motors kicking up with mud and grass flying. Everyone in the boats jumps out and started spreading out around the net. This is followed by several more boat full of people who do the same thing.

So by now I have figured out they are not mullet fishing, but I don’t know what is happening. Given that they have completely screwed my fishing spot I decided to stay and watch. About this time one of the guys running one of the boats yells to me to get out of there. Being in a bad mood this annoyed me and I told him to go “F” himself and stayed put. Shortly after that a large pontoon boat came in behind me and they also asked me to move out of the way. I probably should have just moved, but they had room to maneuver around me so I told them no. By now I am sure they think I am being a real dick because, well….because I am being a real dick. A woman on another boat decides maybe it will work better if they tell me what they are doing. She explains that all of the people are either marine biologists or veterinarians. They have been conducting a long term study of the dolphins that live in Sarasota bay. They are netting the dolphins so that they can assess their health and collect data. That seemed like a reasonable explanation.

So while I was sitting there watching them work I got out my camera and shot a few still shots and then started shooting video. I thought what was going on was kind of interesting. (From this point on you can read the rest of the story and /or watch the video) Shortly after I started shooting video I notice some of the workers pointing at me and telling others I was taking video. One of the workers left the group and started wading out to me to talk to me. Before he got to me a woman on a boat behind me tells me that taking video is not allowed. I verbally took exception to what she says and keep taping. About this time the guy wading out gets to me and I ask him why I can’t shoot video. He says I can, but that I have to back off since it is a federal crime to be within 100 yards of dolphins. I then gave him some crap about being around dolphins while I am fishing. He says it is okay if they approach you, but you cannot approach them.

He then went on to explain that they are using the dolphins resident in Sarasota Bay as a control group for their study of the impact of the Deepwater Horizon on dolphins in the Gulf. Okay, they are there for a good cause, but grumpy old me did not appreciate how they interacted with me. When I told the story to my wife she said I was being a dick.
[youtube]My Tueday fishing trip to the west side of Sarasota Bay turned into a goat rodeo. Just to set the stage let me say that I had pulled a muscle in my back loading my kayak on my truck that morning and I had not caught any fish up to the point the following took place so I was in a bit of a shit mood to begin with.

I was sitting just off a sand bar when I heard a boat coming in behind me at full speed. I turned just in time to see one of those mullet netting boat heading for the sandbar at full throttle. The sandbar had less than a foot of water on it. I though this should be interesting and I can’t figure out what he is doing since I didn’t see any mullet to speak of in that area. Just before he reaches the sandbar a guy in the back of the boat throws out a big orange float and he starts dumping net. He kicked the boat up on the port side and carved a big circle around the area of the sandbar, all the time dumping the net. Just about the time he had completed his circle I hear other boats coming in behind me. They too are at full speed and heading towards the sandbar. Each boat has a bunch of people in it. They ran the first two boats completely up on the bar, motors kicking up with mud and grass flying. Everyone in the boats jumps out and started spreading out around the net. This is followed by several more boat full of people who do the same thing.

So by now I have figured out they are not mullet fishing, but I don’t know what is happening. Given that they have completely screwed my fishing spot I decided to stay and watch. About this time one of the guys running one of the boats yells to me to get out of there. Being in a bad mood this annoyed me and I told him to go “F” himself and stayed put. Shortly after that a large pontoon boat came in behind me and they also asked me to move out of the way. I probably should have just moved, but they had room to maneuver around me so I told them no. By now I am sure they think I am being a real dick because, well….because I am being a real dick. A woman on another boat decides maybe it will work better if they tell me what they are doing. She explains that all of the people are either marine biologists or veterinarians. They have been conducting a long term study of the dolphins that live in Sarasota bay. They are netting the dolphins so that they can assess their health and collect data. That seemed like a reasonable explanation.

So while I was sitting there watching them work I got out my camera and shot a few still shots and then started shooting video. I thought what was going on was kind of interesting. (From this point on you can read the rest of the story and /or watch the video) Shortly after I started shooting video I notice some of the workers pointing at me and telling others I was taking video. One of the workers left the group and started wading out to me to talk to me. Before he got to me a woman on a boat behind me tells me that taking video is not allowed. I verbally took exception to what she says and keep taping. About this time the guy wading out gets to me and I ask him why I can’t shoot video. He says I can, but that I have to back off since it is a federal crime to be within 100 yards of dolphins. I then gave him some crap about being around dolphins while I am fishing. He says it is okay if they approach you, but you cannot approach them.

He then went on to explain that they are using the dolphins resident in Sarasota Bay as a control group for their study of the impact of the Deepwater Horizon on dolphins in the Gulf. Okay, they are there for a good cause, but grumpy old me did not appreciate how they interacted with me. When I told the story to my wife she said I was being a dick.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
sfcscott

Re: Tuesday Morning Goat Rodeo

Post by sfcscott »

Can you say..."I was at the wrong place, at the wrong time!". I would have gotten my feathers ruffled also! Great video by the way.
Scott
Rik

Post by Rik »

They were quite authoritative. Not how they should act if they want the publics support. After all, you were there, they came blasting in. His 100 yard thing is BS, especially since the dolphins were coming within that range with you, not vice versa. They need a lesson in public interaction.

That said, you got to witness a pretty cool thing. Why they didn't want it on video is kinda weird. Why not?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I always wanted to say this in a response but have never had the occasion but......you are a dick! :lol:

Cool stuff, their approach sucks but, hopefully, good comes out of what they are doing. Who were they? Sure had a huge crowd.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Rik wrote:Why they didn't want it on video is kinda weird. Why not?
As I think over the experience, that is the one thing I can't figure out. It was clear to me that my shooting video had them all a little ruffled. The back up to 100 yards thing was just bs. My only guess is that they are concerned about showing how they handled the animals. Not wanting to risk any criticism. I didn't see them doing anything that didn't look okay.

I was in the same area fishing today and saw their whole armada go up the bay again lead by the mullet boat.

Steve
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Shame on them for spoiling your fishing
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Well, Manning, I think you handled what they did very well. They were over eager jerks similar to the idiots who shot ospreys years ago to see if they had ddt in their bloodstreams. There were dead birds they could collect without killing more birds.

My guess is that they were doing a study, but the boats loaded with people there just to watch the show should not have been allowed. They turned a study into a spectator sport which was not conducive to researching. They probably did not want video to go public which could mess up their free show times with others upsetting the dolphin.

The spokesman was lying about your kayak being illegal under the situation. The only ones who handled dolphin were the ones in the water.

I would like to hear the story of how a free floating kayak was detrimental to the dolphin whereas many motor boats and people in the water were acceptable. They were molesting the dolphin which is indeed against the law. If the right people see the video, they may find themselves justifiably in hot water and be replaced by other more professional researchers.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Ok so I counted like 34 people in this video. How much is this "study" costing? Who is paying for it? If it is tax dollars then it is me. If it is the BP settlement then it is me in higher gas prices.
Credo quia absurdum
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

"Excuse me sir your research does not afford you the right to runup on an unmotorised vessel"
I would claim that they were the ones who injured your back and that you should place a claim for some of that BP slush fund!!!
Who dat Jodat !!!
0 0 1
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

This whole thing about not taking video of the events on Tuesday has been eating at me. So this afternoon I called Mote Marine Laboratories and told the operator that I wanted to talk to someone about the dolphin sturdy I had observed. She put me through to Dr. Randall Wells and he picked up on the first ring. As it turns out he is heading up the study that I observed. I explained what had happened and told him that I did not understand why I was told that I could not take video of the research being conducted in Sarasota Bay. His explanation was that the study is part of the NOAA Gulf Spill Restoration Program and that under their contract with NOAA and BP they are not permitted to take pictures or video of the process. When I asked him why that was he said I would have to ask the lawyers for NOAA and BP that question.

We then chatted briefly about my perception that the people I encountered that day were less than courteous. He said he was sorry and they try to be cautious. He then went on to say there is a lot going on out there and they have a job to do. I took that as a brushoff.

Since I am retired with lots of time on my hands I think I may make a few more phone calls.

Steve
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

"they" are not permitted to take pictures or video
You were not part of the study. The contract "they" have would not include a private citizen who was not participating in the study.
0 0 1
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

How many people does it take to study the health of one dolphin and a calf? I'm sure chasing it down with a fleet of boats and then surrounding it with 30 plus blowhards was real good for them.

I would have told that guy to go pound sand.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

So, they are using the Sarasota Bay dolphins as a baseline for comparison to those affected by the BP oil spill. How bad do you think the baseline is tainted by being run down by multiple boats, netted and encircled by, at Buc's count 34 of what the dolphin would consider predators.

I am all for research. But as a layman, that particular operation looks to me like a cluster.

And a lone kayaker to be threatened, or put on notice of a Federal violation, while a gaggle of scientists molest a dolphin is utterly ridiculous.

Steve,
I don't think you were being an a-s h---. I think you were acting as a responsible citizen. There is nothing wrong with questioning things that are obviously out of order.

I look forward to hearing what else you find out.
1 3 12 120 3000
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Let us know if you find out anything. I think they were caught with their pants down and do not want anyone to know of their behavior.

Doing a study and not documenting it with visual proof seems a bit far out.
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Heywood wrote:I would have told that guy to go pound sand.
That's exactly what I thought the first time I read Steve's post yesterday.
Seems to me, someone has something they're trying to keep from everyone else.
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Manning wrote:This whole thing about not taking video of the events on Tuesday has been eating at me. So this afternoon I called Mote Marine Laboratories and told the operator that I wanted to talk to someone about the dolphin sturdy I had observed. She put me through to Dr. Randall Wells and he picked up on the first ring. As it turns out he is heading up the study that I observed. I explained what had happened and told him that I did not understand why I was told that I could not take video of the research being conducted in Sarasota Bay. His explanation was that the study is part of the NOAA Gulf Spill Restoration Program and that under their contract with NOAA and BP they are not permitted to take pictures or video of the process. When I asked him why that was he said I would have to ask the lawyers for NOAA and BP that question.

We then chatted briefly about my perception that the people I encountered that day were less than courteous. He said he was sorry and they try to be cautious. He then went on to say there is a lot going on out there and they have a job to do. I took that as a brushoff.

Since I am retired with lots of time on my hands I think I may make a few more phone calls.
Wonder if Dr. Wells is the guy who approached you ?
I'd call the local newspaper writer, or email, that writes the weekly fishing reports.. tell them what you witnessed, wonder if they would stop the press from writting about it.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~