Getting to be that time again

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Getting to be that time again

Post by DaveR »

Yup. Tarpon time. What I and a few other round these parts consider the pinnacle of the kayak fishin year. There are always a few newbies that want to make a name fir themselves and end up on goo tube or sumptin but please don't take it lightly.
Ya see, I don't care much about y'all. I have plenty of friends and don't write this to gig up more. What I do care about is tarpon and if you go about tryin to catch em without knowin what yer doin you can kill em. And that sucks.
So, if ya plan on huntin the silver king and haven't done it before ask questions. Catching em is only the first part. Watchin em swim away, pissed off and tired, that's the best part.
Good luck and fight HARD.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Re: Getting to be that time again

Post by Rik »

There are many years worth of how to posts available if you use the search button. If that ain't your gig, ASK!

There's a whole lot that can go very bad very quickly when you hook up with a tarpon. I'm really surprised that nothing more has happened then a rod yanked out of an anglers hands and a forearm shiver given to a kayak bound tarpon. They are big, strong, fast and determined fish. Nothing, NOTHING, like that 26 inch redfish that wore you out.

Be prepared for 30 minutes (and it should be less then that if you're doing it correctly) of all out, everything you have plus a little more physical exertion.

And then, as Dave said, you have to be able to fully revive the fish. Towing is the best option so go with friends. If you become a tarpon killer, you will be shunned. You know that Amish Mafia thing? The Tarpon Mafia scares those guys. Fair warning.

Your best bet the first time out is to not even take a fishing rod. Stay respectfully out of the way and watch. Watch how the kayaks set up and wait. Watch how the tarpon travel. Then watch a hook up and battle. Then decide if it really is for you.

Plus, you should also watch a few of those tarpon and shark videos. Shamus loves them. Then ask yourself "what if?"

One more thing. Life insurance. You'll need it. Give me a call, I can get you covered.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Rik, How about setting up one of the announcements that stays on top that has links and articles pertaining to Tarpon fishing. A tarpon fishing "read this".
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

I am ready when you are. I want to bring the camera this year and try to get a few pics of it being done right. I have the opportunity to write a story if we can get some good footage. let me know when your heading out.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

gatordave wrote:I am ready when you are. I want to bring the camera this year and try to get a few pics of it being done right. I have the opportunity to write a story if we can get some good footage. let me know when your heading out.
Back off Dave, he has his own cameraman. :mrgreen: :lol:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I have a question....... exactly where do you fish for tarpon?
Credo quia absurdum
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

justabucup wrote:I have a question....... exactly where do you fish for tarpon?
Inland lakes, they are like bass.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

Todd wrote:
justabucup wrote:I have a question....... exactly where do you fish for tarpon?
Inland lakes, they are like bass.
Like bass except they like salt water so, actually, you fish for them in the ocean. But, like Carmen says, I might be wrong.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

That's carmin with an i

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

Heywood wrote:
gatordave wrote:I am ready when you are. I want to bring the camera this year and try to get a few pics of it being done right. I have the opportunity to write a story if we can get some good footage. let me know when your heading out.
Back off Dave, he has his own cameraman. :mrgreen: :lol:
I'll be shooting you shooting Rik. Is that OK Bill?
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

You know someone around here actually wrote a book where the last chapter or two can show you everything that can go bad with Tarpon fishing. It's called Twizzle and should be required reading by anyone who wants to know what can really happen Tarpon fishing. Actually I'm just trying to jump start sales. :wink:
0 0 1
Rik

Post by Rik »

Where's my autographed copy?
noles

Post by noles »

Rik wrote:Where's my autographed copy?
Still waiting for my copy as well. Old guys tend to forget quickly.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Don't you have the original transcript?
Still waiting for my copy as well. Old guys tend to forget quickly.
Once you learn to read .
0 0 1
Rik

Post by Rik »

shamus wrote:
Don't you have the original transcript?
Keeping it to sell on eBay when you get famous.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Keeping it to sell on eBay when you get famous.
You'd do better selling Mullet
0 0 1