Kingfish tackle

adamray27

Kingfish tackle

Post by adamray27 »

I want to go after some kingfish this year. What size spinning reel would you recommend? Types of lures? I'll be in my kayak. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Walt_Trident13

Re: Kingfish tackle

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

Personally I use either a 6000 or 5000 series spinning reel paired up with a Light/med 7' rod. Before last year I was using 30lb mono, but have switched to 40lb-55lb braid. Tie a 6' 25-30lb florocarbon leader to the braid.
For Kings, I use live bait so on the end of the floro leader I'll tie on a wire stinger rig. I take along my sabiki rod and sabiki up some blue runners. Kings love blue runners. But if you end up getting some pins, those will work too. Put the runner on the stinger, throw it out and start paddling your course. Or you can just let nature take you where she wants.
I also take a lighter setup (4000 series) and have a wire leader with a johnson spoon on the swivel. If you see a school of Spanish or ladyfish cast into it. Those also make good bait. Or you could just load up on Spanish for a tasty meal.
The kings are coming.....The tournaments starts this weekend so the kayak will remain dry for a month while we go offshore.
http://www.youtube.com/brentwaltersmith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

What Walt said. Been a while since I targeted kings but maybe this year. I usually have just trolled Bombers but live bait seems to produce better. Blue runners are king candy if you can sabiki them up.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

What's the consensus on buying pre-rigged stingers vs. making your own? How many in what varying sizes would you keep with you?