Unfair Lures Presentation

TRKpoker

Unfair Lures Presentation

Post by TRKpoker »

3/7/13 Unfair Lures at Competition Tackle

For those of you who made it to Competition Tackle Thurs. night it was good to meet you all. For those of you who missed it hopefully this article will sum up the night for you. First thing I have to say is nights like this where a product manufacturer holds a product seminar about their own product is often nothing more than hyped up sales pitch which we have all seen and heard and often times, if your like me, in short order you are looking for a way out the door long before it is over. This was not what I was feeling while I was listening to Paul van Reenen describe his lure line.

This guy loves fishing like I do. It just oozes out of his skin when he talks fishing. Even though he was there to tell us about his lures and why they are better than other lure manufacturers I never felt like I was standing deep in it listening to him. Paul not only told us why his lures are made the way they are but you could tell from the details of how to use them that he uses these lures day in and day out to fish. He has also used all the lures and fishing methods that we have all used for years. This is how and why he made his lures the way he has.

Now as a disclaimer I have never used his lures, but I will be this weekend, and I don't get any compensation from him or his company. That being said I can tell these lures a a bit different. First thing about his lures that I like the most is the swivel permanently attached to all of his lures. Line twist is always an issue to some degree with braided line and this small swivel will go along ways to stopping that. The second best thing I see, and maybe the most important, is the larger treble hooks. These hooks simply look like they will go get the fish for you. They are sharp, like all new hooks, but the larger gap just looks to me like a better hard lure hook. I will be fully testing these in the near future with a report to follow. Many of his lures have "gills" sticking out from the lure itself. I am not sold on this but at the same time I am not sure. I will be testing this for myself but for now it is a different feature I haven't seen before.

As far as lures he runs the typical gambit of shrimp, mullet and white bait (greenies) that are typical in most hard lure lines. That being said the lures are very life like in both their shape and texture. He told us he used a laser scanner to scan bait fish and shrimp to get his dimensions for the lures. The mullet lure looks like a mullet and the shrimp is just spot on. By the end of the lure presentation I felt like I understood fully what Paul intended on each lure to do and work. His presentation was very well thought out and didn't feel like a sales pitch.

Although I don't know Paul but for the short time we spoke Thursday night I get the feeling he is a very authentic man. I tend to be a good judge of character, even though I do have an ex-wife, and Paul comes off like someone you could just sit down and talk for hours with. He also spent a good bit of time talking about fishing products he recommends that he doesn't even sell. Just odd and end products like anti-corrosion sprays and braided lines in which he has not financial interest but the kind of information a few guys talking fishing might chat about.

The last thing I will say about Paul's product line is he was very big on having his products not in the big box stores but in the brick and mortar mom and pop businesses. Most all new lure manufactures will talk this way in the beginning because they aren't big enough yet to get in the big box stores but the way he talks about it he seems authentic in his stance. Hopefully on this point he will stay true. All in all it was a fun few hours spent with fellow fisherman (and one lady) talking with a guy really passionate about his fishing and product. Actual fishing report to follow soon!

Tight lines,

Tom "Trout Killer"
TRKpoker

Re: Unfair Lures Presentation

Post by TRKpoker »

Guess I should have linked their site at least.

http://www.unfairlures.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

The shrimp looks like it has some real possibilities
http://www.unfairlures.com/pauls-dinkum-shrimp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
watch the vid :arrow:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

I bought the sinking shrimp and although I wasn't in an area where it would do much today I took a few casts with it to see its action. I really like it BUT it is very much a slow bait to work. Really slow. Sink rate is about 1 foot per 2 seconds to 1 foot per 1.5 seconds. When you just barely twitch it it comes up nearly a foot so it is a really slow worked lure. Plus as it sinks it sinks away from you so you pull it up a foot and it goes nearly a foot away from you. Very interested in using it this Sunday. Report to follow.
UrbanLegend

Post by UrbanLegend »

Seems like that would be perfect action for getting far back under doeck or deep under mangroves.
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

From the owners description that is exactly how he uses it. Depending on the current he will toss it up current and under docks and as it drifts past give it a twitch every few seconds. Same idea in sand holes in grass flats.