Kayak Transport Question

scotty14

Kayak Transport Question

Post by scotty14 »

I will need to transport my kayak rooftop rather than using my usual bed extender in the back of my truck. I would like to get some opinions about my tie down methods. Thanks!

-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
Rik

Re: Kayak Transport Question

Post by Rik »

I wouldn't trust those handles. Run the strap all the way over the top.

Can't see the attachment point for bow or stern. The bow attachment is very important.

PS - is that a buckle rubbing on the hood?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Rik is spot on....I noticed the same. Big hint with strapping things to your car/truck is put rags under the places touching the paint/trim. I happen to prefer the micro fiber rags but you need something. If it can work it will and if it touches paint it will be primer or metal when you get where you are going.
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Rik wrote:I wouldn't trust those handles. Run the strap all the way over the top.

Can't see the attachment point for bow or stern. The bow attachment is very important.

PS - is that a buckle rubbing on the hood?
Rik, that's the main reason why I posted this because I was not sure about tying to the handles. In the pics everything is tied to the handles. I may add a strap that goes around the entire kayak. The bow strap is tied from the front handle to the steel hood latch(I may change the location of the buckle). The rear handle is attached to the tow hitch.

So I think this will be fine as long as I add a strap over the entire yak. I strapped to the side handles to keep the boat from sliding side to side.

Once I get to my detonation, I plan to go back to using my normal transport method (bed extender) as my kayak is very difficult to get up on my roof upside down.

Also, I may cut a large pool noodle in half and use that to set the kayak on for more stability.

Thanks for your responses and future responses! Any tie down suggestions or pictures are welcomed.
-Scotty-
Rik

Post by Rik »

scotty14 wrote:
Once I get to my detonation
Please don't detonate when you get where you're going.

Bow straps are a secondary tie down but necessary. IMO, you should put 2 straps around the body of the kayak. As you are driving, the bow tie down strap will be the first thing to tell yu that you have a problem
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Man, I dont know how people transport kayaks on top like that. Its very difficult to get my 60 lb yak up on the roof...especially upside down--I imagine a step stool would help. Ive been spoiled by the convenience of just sliding my kayak into the bed of my truck.
-Scotty-
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

Bed Extender
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

It's a lot easier if you had bars on that roof rack. Another chincy idea is putting pvc inside pool noodles for support, get the monster noodles. I wouldn't trust those handles either, any spots in the kayak you can put the tiedown hooks through?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

I once went to lift my kayak by the side handles and both had weakened because of time and sunshine. When I replaced them the new pop rivets were not as strong and pulled out. I had to replace the rivets with ss washers and ss screws and lock nuts. I would mount a thru hull U bolt or thru hull eye on bow and stern if I were roof top carrying.
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

I have replaced the handles on my boat 4 or 5 times from dry rot.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

I transport my kayak on top of my Xterra. I do not use cinch straps I don't trust them, only ratchet style. Criss-cross over the top using the your roof rack as a tie down point. If you use a bow strap, make for positive that you put something between the strap & truck body. It will leave rub marks otherwise, ask me how I know.....
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I carry my kayak which weighs about 65 lbs on a Thule roof rack on my SUV. Let me tell you how I get it up there. I carry a small piece of rubber backed rug. I put the rug on the top of the tailgate I then lift the bow of the kayak up on the carpet with the stern on the ground. When I first place it on the carpet it is right side up. I then slide the kayak forward and flip it over all in one motion. The rubber backing on the carpet holds it in place and the kayak slides easily on the carpet side. Not sure if this helps give that you have a truck, but possibly if you lift the kayak into truck bed first and then put the carpet on the back edge of the cab it will help.....Okay, after reading this, just go get a bed extender.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up transporting in like always(in my bed w/extender). I just packed all of the family baggage around it lol.

I do like the carpet idea tho. I will have to try that.
-Scotty-