Safety Be-Damned Son - We're Shark Fishing!

ZeroSix

Safety Be-Damned Son - We're Shark Fishing!

Post by ZeroSix »

Anyone seen this? I cannot get the sound in my office due to internet restrictions but from the looks of it this guy is glorifying one heck of an unsafe practice with his small child with him.

I envision other inexperienced weekenders seeing this, trying the same thing b/c it is "cool" and then loosing an arm or a leg, or worse - and then who looks unsafe....? Us as safety conscious kayak anglers…

Boob! Say it with me, it's fun..... "B-O-O-B"!

What says you?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/112542482000 ... atch-shark
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
barrynfla

Re: Safety Be-Damned Son - We're Shark Fishing!

Post by barrynfla »

I think the father is an IDIOT!!!!
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Honestly? I don't see it as a big deal, so they caught a shark in a kayak. The kid is 9 yrs old, they both hd PFD's on, sure there is risk but they brought the shark to the boat and cut him loose. Kid had a great time by the sound on the video. Seemed like a great father/son outing. Now if the guy had done something really stupid like trying to bring it in the kayak that would be a different stroy.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

The problem with vids like this is that it makes it look so easy and completly skips mentioning the dozens of things that can go horribly wrong.

If the father wants to take his son on a trip like that and follows all the proper safety practices in a +1 manner, I have no problem.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

Agreed - however, I can think of better business practices than pulling the shark's head up above the top of the boat. I am sure there are many experts out there who are much smarter - however, my experience from working fishing charters off the NC coast taught me differently.

I may be down a testicle from Big Phaddy - but I still have all my appendages...

Joe

BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

B--O--O--B ! (thanks, Six)

This is exactly the situation that has JuniorFlyReel pissed at me - I would not fish for sharks with Heywood while my boy was in the back of the boat. Same reason I would not take him tarpon fishing with me (although there was little danger of me catching anything there...). I don't care if we're both wearing PFDs. In a light little boat, even if everything else is going right, there is way too much that can go wrong, too quickly.

Nothing ever happens and everything is fine, until it's not.

Protective Parent Who Has Seen Enough Stupid People Get Hurt, aka BFR
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Another example of us becoming a nation of wussies. I don't see a problem with it. The shark appeared to be under control at all times. The kid had a life preserver on. The shark was never brought into the kayak. I'm glad to see him man up. He'll probably be telling his grandkids one day about how he and his dad landed a gigantic shark. :snapshark: I certainly wouldn't have a problem with catching a shark with my son in the kayak. Of course, he is 32 years old and way to big to get in my kayak.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

dunfly wrote: Of course, he is 32 years old and way to big to get in my kayak.
:lol: :lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Good thing they took care to revive it.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Kayakpirate

Post by Kayakpirate »

Hmmmm ... Lets agree shit happens! Had the shark given one last thrust up against that kayak half out of the water a different news report indeed. You are NEVER ever on the positive side of "shit happens" when it come to the men in grey. Just saying!
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Catching sharks from kayaks can be done safely. Let's face it, you can only do your best to cover every unexpected outcome but, with a thorough understanding of what can go wrong, proper preparation and exercising all your brain cells, it can be done safely.

That really is the only problem I have with these videos. They never explain that this is NOT something to do without proper preparation and experience. They just show a guy and his kid out on a regular Saturday afternoon and "oh, gee, look what they caught. They should have added 30 seconds to the discussion and explained that this is not something you do without proper preparation.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was experienced, knew what catching big sharks entailed, had the proper equipment and had schooled his son in what to do. After all, he was fishing with big hooks and big leader, he wasn't trying to catch redfish. It's easy to say he was being irresponsible but, from what was shown, none of us has any idea if he was an idiot who put his son in danger or if he was a very conscientious fishermen and father looking to give his young son a big thrill.

And, Dave, how many sharks have you resuscitated from your kayak? I know you've caught a few. Do you grab them by the lip and tow them around?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

Maybe he just doesn't like his kid.
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

Rik - you're such the keeper. God loves you.