What Camera do you use Kayaking?

Kayakpirate

What Camera do you use Kayaking?

Post by Kayakpirate »

Does anyone own or use the HD GoPro? They look great but look expensive.
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
americanrobster

Re: What Camera do you use Kayaking?

Post by americanrobster »

I use to own an Olympus 1030 WS, but it just broke and I am in the market for a new waterproof camera at the moment. I am open to any suggestions that anyone may have.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
BryanS

Post by BryanS »

I use a Fujifilm FinePix XP30. Nothing fancy, mainly just use it to take pictures of fish during tourneys.

I would think that anyone who has a GoPro picked it up to shoot vids. I've been looking at them as well, just don't know how often I'd actually use it.
When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it.
—Clarence Darrow
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I use Pentax W60, serves the purpose, but if I had to replace it today I think the Cannon D10 would win out over the newer Pentax
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I had a Pentax W60 also and used it snorkeling and on the kayak. Last snorkel trip it bit the dust, so I'm also looking. I liked the Pentax, but they only have one model out right now and it is too expensive. Fuji XP30 looks OK, but it has gotten very mediocre reviews as far as picture quality. The Canon D10 would be my first choice, but I'm not going to pay that for a camera I might drown. I'm looking at the Olympus TG310 right now. I found it on Amazon.com for $159.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

I have an older Optio W20 and I believe it's bulletproof.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

dunfly wrote: I'm looking at the Olympus TG310 right now. I found it on Amazon.com for $159.
I looked at the Olympus TG310 too, but I'm torn between the Canon D10 and Fuji cameras.

Also, I have thought about purchasing a digital camera and putting it in an Aquapac case.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Buy the camera you want and keep it in a dry box. I know many, myself included, that do that and (knock on wood) have never had a problem. Unless you want underwater pics and then buy a waterproof camera.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

I recently bought a Kodak easyshare sport 12mp at Wal mart. 69 dollars. Seems to take nice clear pictures, uses throw away batteries, accepts a chip, and is waterproof to 10 ft.
So far I have not tested the waterproof feature.
Other than that I like it.
Hugh
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Todd wrote:Buy the camera you want and keep it in a dry box. I know many, myself included, that do that and (knock on wood) have never had a problem. Unless you want underwater pics and then buy a waterproof camera.
I did this and all went well for quite some time, but you have to be careful to dry your hands before handling the camera. Saltwater ran from my fingers in around the shutter button and that was the end of that. I now carry a Kodak Play Sport most of the time now. I can put that in my pocket and not worry.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

The playsport is a great little camera for on the go and when there is light. However there is no timer feature for self portraits and no flash.I have the zx3 model.and it could use a wider capture. It seems like the pics are zoomed in too close.
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
Long Range Provider

Post by Long Range Provider »

I have a GoPro that I usually wear on my head and have caught some pretty good fish fights on the water. Unfortunately they weren't my fights but either way it's a cool setup for video. I also carry a pentax wg1 for still shots
The tug is my drug.. But it's the scream that I dream
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Optio W30. Even I can't destroy it. You could also take JPFrog (Gary) out with you. That guy can make anybody look good.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Todd wrote:Buy the camera you want and keep it in a dry box. I know many, myself included, that do that and (knock on wood) have never had a problem. Unless you want underwater pics and then buy a waterproof camera.
I'm taking the plunge - no pun intended - next week and have a Pelican case coming. I'll have the big boy camera for action shots - Canon T2i.

For tourney shots I'll probably go with a very old (9 years?) Canon G3; once I trash that a not so quite old (6 year) Canon Pro 1; after that (probably next year) I'll buy a D10. Typically I get 2-3 years out of a camera and then upgrade. I buy used, abuse, then trash. I do like that Pro 1 though. That L glass is pretty sweet; you just have to live with the limitations of the camera. Slow start up...

From what I've read the D10 has the best pics of the UW point and shoot. Plus I'm to lazy to learn new menus - Canon does a good job of keeping it pretty much the same year after year. It's a relatively new camera so it's still in the $200-$275 range used. New $300-325. I'm not so sure about it's HD video though - if it has it, but I like photos not video.

I was going to use my phone, but the dicapac and phone just don't get along good enough.
JB
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

My 69 dollar Kodak is waterproof has a timer and a built in flash. No leaking around buttons. If it gets salty I rinse it off with fresh water and dry it off. Why spend more its only a picture of a fish?
Hugh
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

That's a good thought and I used to do it that way.. but one day it will get wet. The reason I bought a water-proof (if you want to call it that) is so I can have it handy to take shots of fish I just caught before they die gasping for air while I fumble around trying to dig out the dry box, open it, turn on camera, and shoot all with one hand while hanging on to a flopping fish, sorry fish dead by now.

I wanted a camera I can have out and about hadny and ready to point and shoot, splash it, get wet or slimy with my hands and when I get home rinse it down and be done.

The spec don;t matter if it's 10' limited or 33' limited depth, I would not take one snorkeling or diving, the difference between 9' and 11' or 33' and 34' is to easy a boundry to cross. If you plan to dive get a camera with a housing that will take 2 or 3 atmosphere's of depth.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~