tarpon springs? what bites in june?

michigansnorkeler

tarpon springs? what bites in june?

Post by michigansnorkeler »

I have never been to Florida (I'm from Michigan) and will be visiting in mid-June to the Tarpon Springs area.

What kind of fish can I easily target from kayak?
How big of tackle will I need?
Do I need a SOT or will my 12' sit inside with rodholders be fine?
Where is there easy access (and cheap?)
What kind of licenses do I need? I may want to bass fish...separate license?
GILs_GONE_WILD

Re: tarpon springs? what bites in june?

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Lots of easy access. Honeymoon Island, Green Key (watch for low tides) Brasher Park, Pop Stansell's (one of my favs). Nice grass flats and mangroves at any of these areas. All of these are free unless you go on into the park at Honeymoon Island. There are many more. I'm sure others will chime in.

Fish early morning to just before lunch time then take a siesta til four o'clock ... continue fishing. It will be miserably hot in June in the middle of the day. Pay attention to the weather. The time you're coming down is usually the start of our afternoon (mostly) summer thunderstorm pattern.

What bites? No-see-ums. Mostly as the sun begins to go down. :shock:

Two words for you ... SUN SCREEN!! It is brutal on native Floridians ... it will boil a Michigander in his/her own juices. Long sleeve shirt, long pants, gloves are nice, big wide brim hat and again. Sun Screen.

Go to myfwc.com to find out the particulars on out of state licenses. I'm sure you'll need both fresh and salt.

Gils_Gone_Wild

p.s. Did I mention sun screen???
kspops

Post by kspops »

There is also a park to the south of Gulf Harbors that has just opened recently, (Thanks Tampa Jim). I have not fished it yet, but as with the county parks in Pasco, don't forget the new Pay to Park fees. Green Key to the north of Gulf Harbors, Brasher to the far north are great choices. The Anclote "river' Park is nice, but you have a lot of traffic on the river. Or there is Fred Howard park in Tarpon Springs. Just paddle to the south and you are in the same area. Good luck and don't forget the sunscreen.... :D
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

What kind of licenses do I need? I may want to bass fish...separate license?
Yes freshwater and saltwater are separate licenses. As far as tackle your typical walleye/bass stuff will work well for flats fishing.

And believe Gil about the SPF . The whitelegged michigander turns deeply red in June.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Tourists are Pink! :mrgreen:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Chrystal_Murray

Post by Chrystal_Murray »

Lake Tarpon is your freshwater destination in Tarpon Springs. The park launch is Anderson Park.http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/01_anderson.htm

Good bass and bluegill fishing in the morning and late afternoon. When you launch at the park, turn right and fish the cattails and docks (I used to live there). Try topwater lures in the morning/evening and weedless weighted worms in the afternoon as the water will be quite warm and fish will be deep. Work topwater and lures slow.

Tarpon Tom's, Fisherman's World and Anclote Bait & Tackle are the local shops (salt and fresh). All are good with smart staff.

If it's been raining a lot, launch at the Alt 19 little bridge on the corner of that and Dodecanese Blvd, and head upriver. You will find snook in the undercut bends. Moving tide is a must. Fish a soft plastic on a weighted jig...or better, get lure advice at the aforementioned tackle shops. BTW, I used to catch snook and jacks around the Two Georges Party boat just downriver from the bridge.

Santorini's and Ballyhoo's are great places to eat. You can't miss Hellas Bakery for authentic baklava. There is a wine/coffee/music bar on Tarpon Ave. called The Zone that is a perfect place to wind down the evening.

Hope this helps.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

In case anyone forgot to menyion it use sunscreen !!
0 0 1
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Get yourself some Bullfrog Mosquito Coast. Sunblock and bug spray in one. Spray yourself down good before you get out of the car if you are going at dawn.
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Tarpon Tom's is closed and DO NOT launch at Alt 19 little bridge cause you will be towed.
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

..and yes sunscreen.
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
Chrystal_Murray

Post by Chrystal_Murray »

That's too bad about Tarpon Tom's and that launch by the bridge. Wonder what happened to Capt. Lenny Crispino who owned the tackle shop? If memory serves there was some kind of a park further up river?