Penn Battle

CooKnFish

Penn Battle

Post by CooKnFish »

I thought I remember someone asking for info about this reel recently but I cannot find the thread.

I just bought one of these (3000 series).
Seems to be built pretty well and I like the 6.2/1 ratio for more speed than what I normally use.
One negative I noticed when I first spooled it up is the way it lays line on the spool. It is not very even. There is a dip right in the middle and there is a gap underneath the top lip. After a few casts, my first thoughts came true; having problems with loops and knots. It appears that the high speed rotation is not matched with the oscillation of the spool very well. It stacks line more at the top and bottom. I'm going to start playing with it to see if there might be a tweak that can help the problem and talk to some Penn people to get their take.

I always warn people from buying first run models for this very reason. Being the first on the block often means you're a guinea pig.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Tide1on

Re: Penn Battle

Post by Tide1on »

CooKnFish wrote:I thought I remember someone asking for info about this reel recently but I cannot find the thread.
This one?
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

Thanks for the HEADS UP.. Let me know what the kinks are....
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
fishpirate

Post by fishpirate »

I have the same reel and noticed the wind knots too. I just got into the habit of closing the bail. Been working for me.
Ump608

Post by Ump608 »

I have had my 4000 since Christmas, been using on days that were incredibly windy and it has performed perfect. I have not had any issues with it winding uneven. What line do you have on it ....test/brand?
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

It shouldn't matter but it's loaded with 20# FINS XS. I might try putting 10# PRT just to see if a smaller diameter line lays any differently.

~Mark~
CowboysFan

Post by CowboysFan »

That's disappointing to hear. I really like the aesthetics of the Battle and was thinking about getting one for king fishing.
Rich

I'd rather be fishing right now.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Twas me who posted that other probe for Battle info.. I was going to ask te same question about line.

That is for sure good info, although disappointing. Still have not purchased one, but thats only because BPS did not have instock. Still trying to decide between the Battle 4k and the old standard 440g
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Hey, everyone that has a Battle and not having problems... what size reel do you have? I saw one 4000 listed above.
The 4000 has a different rate of line retrieval than the 3000.

~Mark~
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Update: Haven't had time to mess with it yet so I bought another Sabalos 3000. I took the line off the Battle and put on the Sabalos for now. I might have some time later in the week to respool the Penn with something else.

~Mark~
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

Last edited by Oldtimer on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

Last edited by Oldtimer on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I finally had a chance to sit down with the reel and really look at the problems I was having. I have to admit some of the issue was self inflicted. :oops: I remember when I spooled it I had a nick in the lip of the plastic spool the line comes on and had trouble with the line coming off the spool. I had Sharon do the ol' pencil through the hole routine which isn't the best way to spool a spinning reel. When I bought the other reel, I took the line off the Battle and spooled it to the other reel. That's when I noticed the line twist. I think I worked out the twists at the tournament yesterday.

I loaded the Battle with 10# FINS Original PRT today and took it to the seawall and it works beautifully. I like using the high gear ratio for crank baits or ripping a 1/4 jig through the shallows. And since I went out and bought another reel to hold me over until I got this one worked out, I needed another rod. I picked up a TFO Gary Loomis rod. I was torn between the 7' and 7½' but I ended up with the 7'. Now I'm thinking I might need another reel...

~Mark~
Squidfiddle

Post by Squidfiddle »

I have a 3000 with 15# PP on it and I had multiple wind knots right from jump street. The reel was overspooled. Works like a charm a little less line on it.
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

Last edited by Oldtimer on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

A sad state if affairs I say. I have 4 Slammers going back to the first year they came out and aside from replacing a few gear sets (hand lining a 30 pound drum ain't fun) and a few new bearings they are great. Aint old school but they sure seem better then some of the new crap.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.