Redfish Regulations Workshop

jsuber

Redfish Regulations Workshop

Post by jsuber »

FWC seeks input on possible red drum regulation changes
News Release

August 27, 2010

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has scheduled a series of public workshops this fall to discuss possible fishing regulation changes for red drum (redfish).

The FWC is considering creating regional management areas for red drum and raising the daily bag limit from one fish to two per person in Northeast and Northwest Florida. The Commission is also seeking public comment on possible red drum rule changes for Southeast Florida.

The FWC encourages interested people to attend the workshops, which will take place from 6-8 p.m. local time as follows:

Wednesday, Sept. 8
Gulf Coast Community College
5230 W. U.S. Highway 98
Student Union East
2nd Floor Conference Room
Panama City

Thursday, Sept. 9
FWC Headquarters
620 S. Meridian St.
Farris Bryant Building
2nd Floor Conference Room
Tallahassee

Monday, Sept. 20
Brevard Agricultural Center
3695 Lake Drive
Cocoa
Tuesday, Nov. 23
Jacksonville Public Library
Southeast Branch
10599 Deerwood Park Blvd.
Jacksonville

Tuesday, Nov. 30
FWC Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
100 Eighth Ave. SE
Karen A. Steidinger Auditorium
St. Petersburg Wednesday, Dec. 1
City Hall Council Chambers
123 NW Highway 19
Crystal River

Anyone requiring special accommodations to participate in the workshops should advise the FWC at least five days prior to the workshop by calling 850-488-6411. If you are hearing or speech impaired, please contact the FWC using the Florida Relay Service at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or 800-955-8770 (voice).

More information regarding these workshops is available online at MyFWC.com/Rules, click on "Marine Advisory Boards, Public Workshops, etc."
Fish the Forgotten Coast.
Rik

Re: Redfish Regulations Workshop

Post by Rik »

This is a link to their Sept presentation that is driving these changes

http://myfwc.com/docs/CommissionMeeting ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One other proposed change to to change management from 4 areas to 3. The Southeast and Southwest areas would be combined.

From a non scientific point of view relying solely on forum posts and other conjecture, it would seem to follow - by their studies - that the number of oversize redfish has drastically increased in the northeast and northwest areas. If the number of redfish that have survived through age 4 is so high, it would follow that there would be a larger number of over 27 inch inch.

One point they make is fishing pressure being much higher in the two southern regions.

I really have no issues with their proposed changes other than combining the Southeast and Southwest areas. The two zones are very different redfish fisheries. I wonder why they have no meetings planned in either of the southern regions.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Increased bag limits for the NW? I thought the oil spill was going to kill everything.
Credo quia absurdum
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

I personally find their escapement rates hard to fathom, since they suggest that it was higher during the netting period.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Good point, Jeff. Hadn't considered that.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

The last time I went to a workshop they admitted they changed their data gathering methods the year the fishing license was issued, and I told them that their data was corrupted if they changed their methods. You can see the changes that year. They agreed, and I have not forgotten it. I don't think we need to change the rules myself.