Anyone do leather work?

Phnd

Anyone do leather work?

Post by Phnd »

If so, email me. I'm going to make a stacked leather rod handle and needing some information.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
justabucup

Re: Anyone do leather work?

Post by justabucup »

I think Rockin & Rellin does some leather work..... oh different knid of leather work!
Credo quia absurdum
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Try noles.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Noles is busy today.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Phnd wrote:If so, email me. I'm going to make a stacked leather rod handle and needing some information.
Interesting - never heard of a leather rod handle before. Aren't there concerns about the leather rotting under those conditions? What would be the benefit?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Evan wrote:
Phnd wrote:If so, email me. I'm going to make a stacked leather rod handle and needing some information.
Interesting - never heard of a leather rod handle before. Aren't there concerns about the leather rotting under those conditions? What would be the benefit?
Long ago that's how they made the good one's.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Evan

Post by Evan »

Wow - check out this link including all types of custom leather rod grips from Ostrich to Alligator! Company seems to be located right here in FL: http://armbreakercustomrods.com/clearance.nxg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

The lizard skin would be interesting although that's not what I'm looking for. I don't think it would be practical either. I'm gonna make a stacked leather handle something like you might see on a knife or hammer handle. If I can harden it and make the stack tight enough then seal it properly it should be plenty durable.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I'm pretty sure you cut and stack it, then treat it with neatsfoot oil. Now were you find it now days is another story, maybe a sporting goods store.
Rik

Post by Rik »

They've been making stacked leather knife handles for decades. One very well known example is the Ka-Bar that every serviceman carried in WWII. I would think it would be slippery but I doubt they'd have used it on those knives if it was.

With a knife handle you typically have a threaded pommel on the end to compress the leather stack. Not sure how you'd do that in a fishing rod. Maybe you could form it first on a threaded rod to glue and compress it. Then re-drill the center hole to the right size for the rod.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Rik wrote:They've been making stacked leather knife handles for decades. One very well known example is the Ka-Bar that every serviceman carried in WWII. I would think it would be slippery but I doubt they'd have used it on those knives if it was.

With a knife handle you typically have a threaded pommel on the end to compress the leather stack. Not sure how you'd do that in a fishing rod. Maybe you could form it first on a threaded rod to glue and compress it. Then re-drill the center hole to the right size for the rod.
I have a couple of them, they are not "tied" or "threaded" together. It looks like they count on the swelling from the "oil moisture" to press them together. I know my Dad told me repeatedly to "rub" them with neatsfoot oil often. That's all I know,.
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Interesting that they would oil it. Oil finishes for knife sheaths soften the leather too much if much is applied, but I never considered the swelling. Now hot water or parafin and mink oil applied to the leather hardens it. Leather armor got a hot water treatment.

Oh, got my own crock pot when the wife found out what I planned to use hers for. Picky, picky :D
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Sorry for the extra post, but this subject really got my interest. A stacked leather handle has a very distinct appearance, but it seems to be a lot of work.

From the knife making website, it seems the procedure goes something like this:
Cut leather washers oversize.
Wet them and press them together. Allow to dry for several days.
Remove from the press and allow to dry for several weeks. This shrinks and hardens leather.
Clamp and glue them together with epoxy.
Shape handle with sandpaper or cutting tools.
Finish with Tru-oil, tung oil, dainish oil or some other finish.
Buff the surface well.
The feel wil be similar to plain leather when in use.

If you make a rod, please let us see how it looks when finished.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

FrankC wrote:Interesting that they would oil it. Oil finishes for knife sheaths soften the leather too much if much is applied, but I never considered the swelling. Now hot water or parafin and mink oil applied to the leather hardens it. Leather armor got a hot water treatment.
Neatsfoot oil is more of a soap than an oil, like saddle soap.
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

The rattle snake handle is sick!
Emotion Grand Slam Angler
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Neetsfoot oil may be good on handles, but for petes sake don't soak a good leather knife sheath with it. It will soften it too much, lose shape and you will end up pushing the blade through the leather or cutting the welt. Get some Montana Pitch Blend or something similar to waterproof the leather. Shellack works pretty well also. The pitch blend will soften the leather also, but not near as much as other oils. It contains pine pitch, mink oil and beeswax as I remember.

If I want a hard sheath, I soak it in hot mink oil/parafin or beeswax. It comes out of the soup as hard as nails if you want that effect. The pitch blend allows it to be softer, but it still holds its shape as long as you do not apply too much. It would probably do well on a rod handle. It will darken the leather a shade or two.