R.I.P. Capt Mel Berman

kneedeep

Re: R.I.P. Capt Mel Berman

Post by kneedeep »

DaveR wrote:Just heard on 970wfla that Capt. Mel Berman has passed away. This is indeed bad news for the Tampa Bay fishing community. I'm sure he, Jay, and The Canoe Man are looking down on Mullet Key bayou right now seeing what they can see.
I just got home and I had heard the news on 970 as well, and I was thinkin about posting the same exact message. Except, I think those three are planning a Heavenly One Lure Challenge! Just think, No slot limits!.. No inclimate weather! .. And the Solunars are always GREAT!!
Fish in Peace Capn' :cry:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

Prayers from our family to his.
A tough void in the fishing community that will never completely get filled.
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
Chris.G

Post by Chris.G »

RIP Capt. Mel
Giant- size
~ Good friends will come and bail you out of jail...Best friends will be sitting next to you saying, "Man, that was fun."~
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Very sad news. Guess it was last Saturday he said he was going to be off a few weeks after getting some surgery. :(
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=31427&st

Post by Norm »

That giant sucking sound you hear is the vacumm created by the lost of Capt. Mel. No doubt he will be missed...and no doubt he can't be duplicated. I met him several times and he was always kind beyond words.
It was during one of his Wednesday night gatherings at Gator Ford that I first met Jay and heard about the paddle fishing community. I will forever be indebted to the man.
No doubt he will be joining his close friend the Canoe Man. Seems he mentioned him almost every show...you could feel the affection he and the Canoe Man had for each other and how much Mel missed him. Saturday mornings just won't be the same :(
Rest in peace Captain Mel :!:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

This is just terribly sad.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I'm sure some tears will be shed this Tuesday and Thursday at 6:30pm as Bill Miller and his Hooked On Fishing crew does two tribute shows about Captain Mel. I've set my DVR already.

As will a lot of people, I'm gonna miss him as he helped me to get through the Saturday morning workday. I start work at 5am on Sat. and could hardly wait 'til 6:05am.

R.I.P. Captain ..... R.I.P. :(
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
JSnooky

Post by JSnooky »

A consumate professional on air and on line. A good friend to know that loved to fish and told some daggum funny jokes. The Tampa Bay area fishing community lost another icon for certain. Fair winds and following seas Captain Mel, may you rest in peace.
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

His show was always a lift on Saturdays that were too stormy or windy for venturing out. His emphasis on the average local fisherman (Canoeman, JayB, etc) was something that I appreciated.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
flatsskipper

Good Bye Cap'n Mel

Post by flatsskipper »

You will be missed on those long slow Saturday morning drives into work.
flatsskipper
"fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men-for all men are equal before fish" - Herbert Hoover
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Very sad news indeed after just attending a service for a good friend on Saturday. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Captain Mel

Post by r3krobert »

How sad. I had just finished reading his latest book when I heard of his passing in a St. Pete Times article. No one will ever take his place, but I hope some one of equal character will take up some of the slack.
Bob
CowboysFan

Post by CowboysFan »

I definitately would not be on this forum or fishing from a kayak and having the time of my life had it not been for Capt Mel.

My thoughts are prayers go out to his family.

Tight lines Capt.
Rich

I'd rather be fishing right now.
TexasDan

Post by TexasDan »

I just got done listening to his last show that I downloaded & the tribute show as well. I know it was before his surgery, but he sounded good and ready to come back at the end of February. Every Monday when I got to work I would download his full show and listen to it that week to get me ready for the fishing weekend coming up. I did not get a chance to meet him, but he will be greatly missed. I bet he is wearing out the dehooker now.

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family as well.