fish kill from baynews 9

Groupdog

fish kill from baynews 9

Post by Groupdog »

We have reports of about 15,000 dead snook we can account for," he said. "Of that, there's probably 10-times that many that are in a stupor."
Woah woah woah ... Guys.
I'm just like you. I put my pants on one leg at a time.
except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

more cowbell
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I saw at least 20 this morning just chilling about and they looked just fine. It is not all doom and gloom. Mother Nature works in mysterious ways.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Just in from my backyard...
Check out the beast in the lower right corner of the first frame.

Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Evan

Post by Evan »

According to Mote Marine here in Sarasota, there are thousands...perhaps as many as 10,000...dead Snook in Sarasota Bay alone. And twice that many dead Jacks and Mojarra.

If it's not all doom-and-gloom, I'm having trouble seeing the silver lining.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

Evan says
If it's not all doom-and-gloom, I'm having trouble seeing the silver lining.
Survival of the fittest. Been going on along time before the first of our kind walked on earth. Think of the strong fish that survived. They are sure to for many generations (how long ago was the last cold spell like this?) Be able to spawn a stronger blood line.
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

I just got a call from a co-worker who is down at the Port of Tampa. He said he was looking at about 60-100 snook that all appeared to be alive and well. He also said that there were quite a few big ones (he said 30lbs) in the mix.

I know we lost an enormous mount of fish over the last several days, but I do think that a good number of them have made it through.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

From my backyard..

(mgmt edit - this is an already dead snook that was pulled from the water with a gaff. A pic like this - jaw hung - is usually not allowed on this forum)

Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Todd wrote:From my backyard..

How'd it taste?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Heywood wrote: How'd it taste?
A tad dead for my taste buds. I pulled him up and slit the gut so she would sink to the bottom rather than float on the surface.

Only one I have seen in my backyard. There are many still swimming around. My canal is great territory for cold water snook, low and muddy.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

The fish in the pond behind my house survived. Cant believe it, it's very shallow.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

The sad thing about the snook that died are those were the dumb ones. The survivors are smarter and tougher.
Guess now I have to improve my fishing skills.

Seriously, yeah it sucks. We lost alot of fish. But, for every dead snook I've seen today were 10-20 live and healthy ones. There were alot of dead ones but, the numbers of live was ridiculous. I didn't know there were that many out there!
Keep your heads up folks...
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
fishfinder13

Post by fishfinder13 »

Snookfinatic wrote:The sad thing about the snook that died are those were the dumb ones. The survivors are smarter and tougher.

Seriously, yeah it sucks. We lost alot of fish. But, for every dead snook I've seen today were 10-20 live and healthy ones. There were alot of dead ones but, the numbers of live was ridiculous. I didn't know there were that many out there!
Hey I went onto the other side and saw about fifteen more snook as well as a juvi tarpon all dead. But there was still alot more alive then dead.
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

fishfinder13 wrote:
Snookfinatic wrote:The sad thing about the snook that died are those were the dumb ones. The survivors are smarter and tougher.

Hey I went onto the other side and saw about fifteen more snook as well as a juvi tarpon all dead. But there was still alot more alive then dead.
That wasn't the only place I seen snook today. :wink:
Nice meeting you today. See ya out there when its warmer.

finaticdesigns.com
fishfinder13

Post by fishfinder13 »

Good to know that they were doing alright in other places. Also saw a couple of poachers one with a net and one with a set of treble hooks. They should start to feed real soon. Hopefully I will see you out there again.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

fishfinder13 wrote:Good to know that they were doing alright in other places. Also saw a couple of poachers one with a net and one with a set of treble hooks. They should start to feed real soon. Hopefully I will see you out there again.
I hope you called that in. :evil:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

fishfinder13 wrote: Also saw a couple of poachers one with a net and one with a set of treble hooks.
Call the law.

finaticdesigns.com