drinking beer while Kayaking

Captain Hugh

Re: drinking beer while Kayaking

Post by Captain Hugh »

I have never been stopped in a kayak. They can tell I am too old to need a license and probably can't catch a fish.
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

Florida statutes define a kayak as a "vessel", albeit one that does not require registration. The BUI statute only talks about a "vessel operator" that can be charged if determined impaired. Presumed impairment is the same as in the DUI statute, a .08 or greater BAC.

Unlike the vehicle DUI statute, I don't see any restrictions of an open container on a vessel, I am certainly no expert though, and that is only the State Statute. Counties and municipalities have their own ordinances, for example, in Ft. Desoto alcohol is prohibited anywhere in the Park, as well as any Pinellas County Parks. Hence the popularity of the proverbial Big Red Cup.

You would probably have to be pretty ripped and/or obnoxious to get stopped for suspicion of BUI on a kayak, but it could happen, I suppose. And, of course, if you get stopped for a safety inspection and there are 9 empties rattling around in your tank well, you might have a problem. Just like driving, under state law it is only illegal if you are impaired. Open container is a different matter, but, just like most situations, use common sense and don't call attention to yourself and, most importantly wait till you are home or somewhere safe with a driver before you get hammered.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I don;t drink but when I do its usually a good Belgian Beer
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

It should be illegal not to drink while kayaking.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Never have, but now you mention it....nahh, always on the 19th hole.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Personally, beer hardly ever...

NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve