Livewell installation

Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Livewell installation

Post by Paul »

Maybe this should go in the rigging section

I installed a Livewell in a Malibu Stealth 12 for a customer last week.
Here is a few pictures and installation tips

Here is all the parts that I used

The pump is a Attwood tsunami series pump 500 GPH
The Aerator spray head is an Attwood

Attwood makes a plastic low profile strainer. I used a S/S mesh strainer. Which is probably a better strainer, but it is not as low profile as the Attwood. The s/s strainer is a bit more delicate

The Stealth Series have a flat spot in the hull where the livewell pump is mounted.

I used 3m 5200 to seal the pump - Note the the thread intake tube of the pump must be cut down so the pump is flush to the inside of the hull

I used the flange nut to tighten the pump against the hull. I have heard some people skip the flange nut and just tighten the strainer against the hull. That would be "more" low profile, but you would never be able to take off the strainer and clean it out. so i used the flange nut, then screwed on the strainer. I did not use 5200 on the strainer. So you can remove it we you transport the kayak

This is the aerator. Drilled the hole used 5200 to seal it.

So the water gois thru the hull is the kayak - to the pump throught the hose to the aerator in the livewell. Then the water drains out top of the livewell has two screened areas . It is important to cut slits in the drains so fish scales don't block the holes. (I don't have a picture)

It is important to use a waterproof switch and heat skrink...cuz kayakin' is wet

we made a small mesh battery holder, I've seen a few slick modified peilcan style dry boxes outfitted to hold small batteries. We just made the holder so the battery would stay in place if the kayak flipped over. We used a small 12 amp 12v battery. I think the bilge pump only draws a few amps.

I used a waterproof switch and also rigged it with an inline fuse.

A few tips

always dry fit everything first. It is easier to correct something before it is cover with 3m 5200.

Use "All" S/S marine hose clamps and a high quality hose - no clear fish tank hose. Install the hose and tighen the hose clamps on the pump before installing them in the kayak

Let the 5200 set up for at least 48 hour more before using. This is not a thick ridge fiberglass hull. Most kayaks are polyethylene. Most sealants don't bond well to polyethylene
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
rolle2259

Post by rolle2259 »

Real nice Paul, How accessible is the live well while seated in the yak?
Get r done
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

rolle2259 wrote:Real nice Paul, How accessible is the live well while seated in the long-haired bovine?
I can answer that, very easy. I keep my cold drinks in there :lol:

There is a clear screw on top to the live well hatch, all you have to do is unscrew that as opposed to lifting open the whole hatch.

Thats a nice looking job there Paul :wink:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

Heywood wrote:
rolle2259 wrote:Real nice Paul, How accessible is the live well while seated in the long-haired bovine?
I can answer that, very easy. I keep my cold drinks in there :lol:

There is a clear screw on top to the live well hatch, all you have to do is unscrew that as opposed to lifting open the whole hatch.

Thats a nice looking job there Paul :wink:
X2!!! Love the bait well even without any rigging.....

Great job Paul...
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Looks good! 5200 is overkill, but sure does the job. 4200 would have been fine.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Blindmullet wrote:Looks good! 5200 is overkill, but sure does the job. 4200 would have been fine.
3m recommends 5200 to use as a sealant with a mechanical bond for Polyethylene plastic.

Meaning use 5200 when you are bolting, using screws or riveting something to a plastic kayak. But if you try to glue to pieces of plastic together it will not bond.

4200 may work just fine, but I've always just used 5200
Paul Silvernail
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Paul wrote:
Blindmullet wrote:Looks good! 5200 is overkill, but sure does the job. 4200 would have been fine.
3m recommends 5200 to use as a sealant with a mechanical bond for Polyethylene plastic.

Meaning use 5200 when you are bolting, using screws or riveting something to a plastic kayak. But if you try to glue to pieces of plastic together it will not bond.

4200 may work just fine, but I've always just used 5200
5200 is a perm. bond thats all. The first boat I built I used 5200 on everything and had fun changing things out. I have started to use the 4200 more. Either way thats a sweet livewell!
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

You mean that's not a beer cooler.

This is my solution for a live well in the Stealth

Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

I would keep the super soaker in the paddle holder for quick access. keep the beer in the livewell/Cooler

Paul Silvernail
shallow pockets

live well

Post by shallow pockets »

very nice work
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff