Fishing and the Internet

Heywood

Fishing and the Internet

Post by Heywood »

Please take the time to read the whole story, regradless of how you feel about me personally.

A lot can be said about the internet, both good and bad. But when it comes to fishing and internet forums things can get out of hand. Simple reports can turn ugly, forum fights break out over secret spots, grown men act like teenage boys fighting over a prom date. People resort to blurring out back grounds, while others criticize that choice. Many will readily give out information about a particular area, while some are tight lipped, fearing it will be over run by the omnipresent “Lurkers”. I for one used to like posting reports, I am usually careful not to give away to much information with the pictures and never mention my home waters.

I have had my share of internet “fights”. I’ll admit it, I don’t take criticism very well, I tend to take it very personal. Maybe it’s a character flaw, I don’t know. When it comes from a friend, I deal with it like it was intended, but when its from someone who doesn’t know me, I can come un-glued. Is all very unnecessary. This brings me to the heart of this article. I had one these so called “heated discussions” several years ago over a conversation I had about a spot that a club member had told me about. It was a simple slip of the tongue on my part, but it led to such an argument that it cost me the friendship of a great angler.

As chance would have it, I ran across this angler, we’ll just call him “Wally” at a launch that not many people know about. We said our “Hello’s”, and went our separate ways. I thought about Wally while I was out on the water, not sure what would be said when we returned. It was a short morning session, the redfish never really showed up and I’m not big on blind casting, so we called it and headed back to the ramp. In the distance I could see that I would meet Wally again, as they were heading in as well. We made causal chit chat and I asked Wally about his health. He had some issues with cancer in the past which required major surgery, but he had come through it alright. He mentioned that his last check up showed something that concerned his doctors and wouldn’t know for a few days what the outcome would be. While I listened to him talk about his ordeals something struck me, here we were, two stubborn and determined personalities that at one point were ready to rip each other head off over a bunch of fish. It was then I went to my truck and gave Wally my number and email address. I told him to let me know how he was doing. Well I received a phone call the other night.

My friend Wally has Renal Cancer. Three large tumors showed up on his last check up. Non-operable. What do you say to someone when they tell you this? It hit me like a ton of bricks. Wally did most of the talking, I did all the listening. He will be on a dangerous regiment of medicine, the outcome of this is not entirely known. Wally may become to sick to ever fish again, something which we both enjoy more than most people will ever know. We both offered apologies for our past encounter, which seemed really petty. I told him to keep me informed on his condition and if there was anything I could do, to call.

I have thought about our conversation for the last few days. To think that I might miss out on getting to know Wally better and spend some time on the water with him because of a argument over a fishing location is pretty pathetic. I have burned some bridges in the past, pissed people off, made some enemies and looking back I am truly sorry for that. Living with anger and discontent is not a good thing at all. So after my talk with Wally I vowed to make amends with those people if possible. Life is just to short and uncertain.

Its just fishing people, that’s all it is. Its not worth losing friends over.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Well said Heywood! You a good man in my book.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
FLPat

Post by FLPat »

That post shows the kind of compassionate, friendly, helpful gentleman I have always known you to be. No sacrasm -- just the truth.

Pat & her Heritage Redfish
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I am always willing to forgive and forget. As I said before,I would like to call each and every one here a friend. I just refuse to sit back and allow my friends to be bad mouthed or abused.
Sometimes you look back and you can't even remember why some arguements even started.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Redfisher wrote:
Sometimes you look back and you can't even remember why some arguements even started.
Story of my life lol. Life is definitely too short...
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Well put Heywood.

This should be posted on EVERY forum on the internet. Just change fishing to whatever the forum subject happens to be!!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

I suspect that I know who this is and was just thinking about him last week and wondering what had happened to him. Very sad. Glad you are in touch, Bill.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

With the exception of one person, I don't know anyone on this forum personally. So the only way I know you is by what you post here.

It has been my experience that people treat each other worse in the cyberspace environment that they do in the face to face world. I have been part of other forums dedicated to other interests and seen the same behavior. Not sure I understand it, but it seems to be true. If we all just acted as we would in real life then a great deal of the BS would just be gone. JMHO
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Well said Heywood
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I may have to move you up a notch or two on my speed dial. :wink: You're a good soul Bill. Glad to count you among my friends.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

Well said Bill. I have always said that there is no room for sarcasm on a friendly web site. If you can not say anything positive please don't say anything at all.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Nice Post Bill......
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Nice post. Bill. You have said plenty, whether anyone thinks it's worth reading or not. I have made many friends from this forum alone, and none of them are worth losing for anything, especially something as petty as a fishing hole.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Yes, folks, I deleted a bunch of posts (also edited a few) from this thread. They were intentionally disruptive.

Heywood, I apologize that your heartfelt post turned ugly.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Rik wrote:Yes, folks, I deleted a bunch of posts (also edited a few) from this thread. They were intentionally disruptive.

Heywood, I apologize that your heartfelt post turned ugly.
I just ignored it :wink:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Rik

Post by Rik »

I think someone has a sig line to that effect.......
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley