New Boat

ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

New Boat

Post by ChrisR »

I picked up this solo canoe this weekend. It is a Mohawk Solo 14. With the training wheels up, it is nice to paddle. It feels just a little slower than my Ride 135. I was, however keeping up with someone paddling the Ride, and another guy paddling a Tarpon 120. Certainly no speed demon, but it'll do. With the training wheels out, it feels like standing on a dock. It definitely catches more wind than the kayak, but it wasn't unmanageable. I bought this boat primarily for fly fishing, and I think it will serve its purpose well.

This is how I had it set up this weekend. I like being able to lay my rods down on the front thwart.

For you canoe people out there, are there "must haves" as far as rigging goes? Should I put in foot braces in it? I was thinking about trying to put a Native Ultimate seat into it, does Bill Jackson's sell the seats? Thanks.
Helmig

Post by Helmig »

With the stability of the outriiggers, I replaced a molded plastic seat with a piece of birch plywood. I use a drop in/swivel padded seat. This puts your hind end a few inches above the gunnel and gives improved visibility and a good angle for driving a paddle. Plus it real easy to stand up and sit down. Downside, your top heavy though without the riggers. I don't or wouldn't go without them anyway.
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

canoe

Post by r3krobert »

I don't think foot braces will be of much use. I have them on my Hornbeck, but it has the seat on the bottom like a kayak. If you are using the outriggers you shouldn't need braces. If you are paddling without the outriggers, you need to lower your center of gravity either with a lower seat position or kneeling.

You might PM pbr who has a Native Ultimate seat in his canoe.
Bob
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

I had a foot brace in a 14.5 Wenonah Vagabond I used a couple of years ago. I thought that they helped. Bill Jackson's does not sell the Ulitimate seat. They can get them but they are not cheap. I am not sure where PBR bought his.
VFTG

Post by VFTG »

Sledford wrote:I had a foot brace in a 14.5 Wenonah Vagabond I used a couple of years ago. I thought that they helped. Bill Jackson's does not sell the Ulitimate seat. They can get them but they are not cheap. I am not sure where PBR bought his.
Here's the topic about PBR's canoe with ultimate seat. Great idea but a little pricey at $250.

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... highlight=

I like it though 8)
Victor

Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

looks like she will be a great boat for fly fishing.

Let me know if you are ever free one of these weekdays, we should get on the water some time and do some fishing
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
rolle2259

Post by rolle2259 »

whats wrong with using your noe
Get r done
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Native seat

Post by r3krobert »

Here's the topic about PBR's canoe with ultimate seat. Great idea but a little pricey at $250.

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... highlight=

I like it though 8)[/quote]

It sounds like a lot, but it's less than a good rod and reel. What's comfort worth for days and days of paddling?
Bob
pbr

Post by pbr »

The seat is worth every penny. For me stablizers get in the way with fighting fish and they add weight. Approach is different with an ultralight canoe, vs a conventional one.
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

I've had my eye those 14 solos for a while. Nice noe!
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.