Are you more likely to keep a fish now?

Are you more likely to keep a legal fish now than you were a year ago?

Yes
20%
No
28%
No difference
51%

Total votes: 74

Chief1600

Are you more likely to keep a fish now?

Post by Chief1600 »

Will the rising price of food, gasoline and other necessities make you more likely to keep a legal fish now than say, a year ago? Certainly, for most of us, going out and buying a kayak and fishing gear, to take the number of legal fish allowed, would not make economic sense. But since we are there anyway ...

Another aspect is, if the number of people fishing from a kayak, boat, bank or wading all decided to keep more fish, what effect does that have on the fishery?
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

The financial equation never enters my head in regard to keeping fish.

Palette is what makes up my mind, keeper Flounder and Snapper, are more likely to make the trip homw with me, than Redfish or Trout. Keeper Snook are always a battle of conscience for me, in 8 years fishing, i've taken 4 home, all were fantastic to eat, but they are so few and far between I won't keep them all.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

I never take fish home. Too many years of cleaning them as a kid and a college student. That's what the fish monger is for.

Jay
Stereotactic radiation saved my life.

I may not be an angel, but I had a halo.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

I use to keep a few now and then, but keep none now.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

When I feel like eating fish, I take whatever I catch with me home (assuming it is legal). Sometimes I take home fish for friends and relatives. That being said, I probably take home a fish once every twenty trips. If fish cleaned themselves and didn't have to be packed on ice, I'd take home a fish every friggin time.

If people think they are being conservationists by not taking home fish, they are fools.
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

If I'm in the mood to eat fish, I take them home. If I'm not, I don't. That's how I always have done it.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I never took home fish.....I was the only one who ate fish in the house. But I do like fresh fish, redfish and trout. I never had snook but heard it is great. The few I kept in my years of fishing in Florida were all cooked that day.

But to edit, I don't care if people keep fish to eat. If I enjoyed cleaning them and preparing them for myself than I might have kept more. I don't see why you would go to the limit on certain species just to stock the freezer.....frozen fresh never tasted as good to me.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Spectaculous topic.

I personally don't keep any fish. Since my Diagnosis I have a new appreciation for life and find it hard to kill. I don't even use live bait. I have in my lifetime killed thousands of animals for food but the animal is just not in me anymore. I'll admit that it even bothers me when friends keep fish when fishing with me, but I also accept it is their right to do so.

I would like very much to get away from the Commercial food industry but I'd need to kill game to do that....If my conflict of concious does not improve or change I may become a Vegetarian.

Glutton and Wanten Waste are going to ruin the resource for your children. It's a fine line so teach your children well.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I'm not more likely to keep a fish, as I don't eat fish often, I've always been a catch and release fisherman for the most part, so there is no differences in the keeping one for dinner aspect. Although, one thing did change from last year until now and that is, I am more likely to handle fish with allot more care and respect, use barbless hooks and not handle the fish as much. 8)
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

As time goes by I find it harder to look at the mighty Redfish and not feel sorry for the dude, however I also love fish and the benefits of consuming them over any other processed foods. That said I do bring home a Red when I want to or can catch a slot fish, but my respect for them (and Mr. Snook) have increased tenfold over the past few years. They are hearty living creatures, I give them tremendous credit and respect for their fortitude as well as their essential place in my food chain.
All ethics, morals and resource shortages put aside, according to scripture, they are here for our consumption and nourishment after all.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Mangrove Man wrote: I may become a Vegetarian.
Say it isn't so!!!! :shock:

Actually the food is quite good and has much more variety then many think. That said I still can't give up that fat juicy steak here and there.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
islander

Post by islander »

Vlap wrote:
Mangrove Man wrote: I may become a Vegetarian.
Say it isn't so!!!! :shock:

Actually the food is quite good and has much more variety then many think. That said I still can't give up that fat juicy steak here and there.
Or pork. You gotta have pork. The pig is one of God's greatest inventions.
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

I would not fish if I did not enjoy eating them. It is a lot less effort to go to the woods and bang away at a tin can or target, play some game, or just nature watch. As far as time on the water goes, you can go for a paddle or boat ride without the costs associated with what we enjoy and not leave a footprint.

As far as just going out to catch and release something, put a cotton ball on a piece of string and go locate some frogs :D
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

Y Yes.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
Lime Cider

Post by Lime Cider »

I love seafood! I rarely keep a fish though. Never a 7-10 year old (slot) snook, they fight way too good to only be caught once. I will keep a decent flounder, pompano or mango (too bad I hardly ever catch those). No trout, an occasional lower slot red. If it's over 25" it is going back. I figure a few more pinfish and a crab and this red will be safe "forever". :lol:
Russ
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

islander wrote:Or pork. You gotta have pork. The pig is one of God's greatest inventions.
Gotta love an animal made of bacon. :lol:

I don't eat anything I catch, couldn't stand the thought of sailcat suprise anyway. My better half is allergic to almost all seafood, so when I want fish I just buy it at Red Lobster.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage