Are you more likely to keep a fish now?

Are you more likely to keep a legal fish now than you were a year ago?

Yes
20%
No
28%
No difference
51%

Total votes: 74

Mako

Post by Mako »

Blindmullet wrote:I really don't keep anything. I did take a red around christmas time. A good supply of fish makes it my way from family. Just had some mako steaks last week and will have some more this weekend.
this is just wrong man :cry: :wink:
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Mako wrote:
Blindmullet wrote:I really don't keep anything. I did take a red around christmas time. A good supply of fish makes it my way from family. Just had some mako steaks last week and will have some more this weekend.
this is just wrong man :cry: :wink:
Hey do mullet count? Fresh mullet fried, yummmmm.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I have always kept fish. Keeps "she who must be obeyed" happy. Our family eats fish, usually the day I catch them. Have not frozen fish in a long time, to me it does not matter how you freeze them it is still not the same as fresh.

Will always keep a redfish, if I catch a keeper. The occasional snook, I dock fish a lot so I see plenty of keepers, don't always catch them, but when I do I will keep a few a year. Rarely ever keep trout, especially since the red tide. Snapper/grouper/cobia definitely keep.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

I haven't caught a legal fish in 2008, so I know my input is irrelavent. Regardless, I don't ususally keep fish unless I am camping.
- Jon
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

My family loves fish so yes we keep fish if they are legal. Am I more likely to keep them now as opposed to a year ago? No, since I would generally always keep them a year ago also. I am happy for all those people who have no economic incentive to keep fish but I like to cut expenses whenever I can. I will bend over to pick up a penny on the ground every time I see one. If I can save on my food bill by keeping fish you betcha I am all for it and I am also more confident of the quality of the fish. I just don't like eating fish which I don't know where they came from or who handled them or how they were handled.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Silverspoon wrote:...I just don't like eating fish which I don't know where they came from or who handled them or how they were handled.
If you're ever in NY and ever get the chance, check out the Fulton Fishmarket at 3am. You'll see EVERY kind of fish, mollusk and crustacean, and then some. Keep a cautious eye open for fish getting flung through the air like a skitterwalk across a flats.
Was a neat experience.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

I only kept three fish (2 reds and 1 trout) last year and all were gut hooked and bleeding so bad I knew they would croak. It is such a hassle to keep them fresh on the water and then during the hour drive back home from my fishing grounds.

I find it is easier to buy fish from Publix when in the mood but have no objections to people keeping a few for the table.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Snook712 wrote:...It is such a hassle to keep them fresh on the water and then during the hour drive back home from my fishing grounds...
A fish bag on the LHDB and a cooler full of ice in the ride home works quite well for TS1 a & I. Guess it all depends on if you feel up to the hassle of loading and carting those in the morning or not.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

FishingDL wrote:
I never fault anybody for keeping a legal fish but those that keep fish against the regulations should be fined and lose the right to have a fishing license for at least a year.
I vote for this proposal.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
pbr

Post by pbr »

This fish bag has worked out great, refreeze ice pac's fit in pockets. I put the fish in a plastic bag to keep things clean since I keep my drink and lunch in it too. Load it in the morning, lasts all day no problem, easy to sling over shoulder and carry.

Capt Bob J.

Post by Capt Bob J. »

I haven't kept a fish for over 4 years. I've ate so many fish over the years that they're much more important to me in the water than on the table. An interesting thing is not one of my charters has asked to keep a slot fish in all that time either. I'd be lying if I said that bothered me, actually I think it's great!
Capt. Robert Jaspers
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I keep fish almost every trip. I like to eat them at least two days a week. That said, I never freeze fish...always fresh for me. I don't keep any snook or 5lb+ trout. Reds, flounder, smaller trout, cobia, etc. are all fair game though. They're good for ya and it does help offset the cost of fishing to some degree.
Snowman

Keeping fish..

Post by Snowman »

Yes and no......I Came home with 4 keeper Gag grouper and a nice Mangrove snapper last friday. ....i went out on this trip with the intention of putting some meat in the freezer. Offshore fishing for me is not relaxing.....it's hard work and chum, bait and fuel are expensive. I enjoy the pay off of putting a few grouper filets in the freezer 2 or 3 times a year.
I have on occassion kept a legal slot red or snook........or a trout or two but it's rare. I'm not saying that keeping one secies over another is better........I just prefer to catch, release and relax while kayak fishing.
I don't see a need to keep packing the freezer with fish trip after trip.
Yeah....I eat fish!!
Dreads

Post by Dreads »

Salt, Pepper, Old Bay and minced garlic, battered and fried golden brown.
with cheese grits and shrimp gravy.

Need I say More.......
:D
Native Ultimate 14.5
WS-T120