Open Carry

jaeforceone

Open Carry

Post by jaeforceone »

Does anybody openly carry a firearm when fishing? I plan on concealing in the hatch or crate with the proper license but wonder if anyone openly carries?

I plan on fishing the more remote area's of the big bend and wonder if carrying openly acts as a deterrent or just brings a greater attention from those around you. Keep in mind, these are those 1/4-3/4 mile dirt/forest roads, and gravel launches that many of you strive to keep a secret.
Native Manta Ray 14 Sand
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Open Carry

Post by jbdba01 »

I thought about doing this several times. After a while I decided not to expose myself to areas where I thought carrying a weapon would be beneficial. aka...risk management. To me at the end of the day it wasn't worth the potential headaches.
JB
Rik

Post by Rik »

If I were in an area where I felt that open carry was necessary I would rethink where I am fishing. Those are also areas that would be the last place I'd want to leave my truck while I'm gone fishing for 5 hours. There are plenty of areas, with plenty of fish, where personal security isn't a concern.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

What Rick said!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

Sounds like Cockroach Bay. I'm not to comfortable with that area anymore.
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I occasionally do carry in the kayak, but not for the reasons above. More worried about hogs, snakes and gators. But not open.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Hope it's a polymer pistol saltwater is tough on weapons.
0 0 1
jaeforceone

Post by jaeforceone »

I guess concealed carry is the way to go.
Native Manta Ray 14 Sand
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

Many of the same states that permit concealed carry prohibit open carry. I'd be guided by the law which you should check fairly often as they do tend to change.
jaeforceone

Post by jaeforceone »

FS 790.25 (3)(h)
A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition
Native Manta Ray 14 Sand
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition

It does however not allow you to make several stops all over town while on your way to go fishing. Concealed is the way to go. An exposed gun just makes the average citizen nervous. The guy I took my conceal carry course with was on the news not long ago for just this very idea. He got a bunch of his buddies and they all walked to the Jetty in Venice with exposed guns and fishing rods. All legal but looked real stupid on the 6 oclock news.
0 0 1
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

shamus wrote:Hope it's a polymer pistol saltwater is tough on weapons.
Yes.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
jaeforceone

Post by jaeforceone »

shamus wrote: It does however not allow you to make several stops all over town while on your way to go fishing. Concealed is the way to go. An exposed gun just makes the average citizen nervous. The guy I took my conceal carry course with was on the news not long ago for just this very idea. He got a bunch of his buddies and they all walked to the Jetty in Venice with exposed guns and fishing rods. All legal but looked real stupid on the 6 oclock news.
Yeah there are quite a few youtube videos where guys record themselves on the pier while open carrying. I agree with concealed carry when stopping by the store or whatever.

I simply asked my initial question in this thread to see if it was smarter to openly carry or not. I see potential risks sometimes when I am launching my kayak in remote areas, especially when there are other people in larger groups. I've launched in more populated areas before where there were sketchy guys (probably under influence) asking to borrow stuff like bait or other essential items needed for fishing. I start thinking to myself why these guys would go fishing without something as essential as hooks or bait?!

Many of you are right, concealed carry is the way to go. Even if I decided to open carry I'm sure the average concealed carry person around me would start to get nervous about me open carrying around them. Would not want to be held at gunpoint because a fellow concealed carry permit holder didn't understand certain laws or got more paranoid than me.
Native Manta Ray 14 Sand
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Can we rename the website paddle-gunfishing.com?
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
no time

Post by no time »

Rik wrote:If I were in an area where I felt that open carry was necessary I would rethink where I am fishing. Those are also areas that would be the last place I'd want to leave my truck while I'm gone fishing for 5 hours. There are plenty of areas, with plenty of fish, where personal security isn't a concern.
The problem is that you carry a drivers license because you need it and have to carry it when the leo stops you and it's the law. Just like a gun you never know were and when anyone can approach you in a movie theater,home depot parking lot,BH,AMi,Vameo.CRB.FDP or any other launch. It's always when you least expect it and like the DL I carry so am prepared for that reason.IMHO. I do agree that we should always avoid bad areas and use common sense. No matter where you fish,personal security should always be a concern. Always expect the unexpected.
What can I do to help?
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

I prefer to watch my surroundings and not carry normally, but when using boat ramps with my wife during the night, I feel better with my S&W in an accessible pocket. The design is such that the Smith can be fired from within a pocket in an emergency or pulled out of the pocket without hanging up. That is an advantage of a revolver over a semi-auto.

Years ago a person holding a butcher knife quickly approached Dad from behind at an isolated boat landing. Dad drew his revolver and the situation ended peacefully. The only way the guys intentions could have been clear was if Dad had not been armed. Not a good choice.

Just watch where you go and make a determination in advance if the site could be risky. I would not open carry however, as you do not want to let it be known that you are armed unless necessary.