Weedon has been very good to me

Flamingo to Big Bend

Weedon has been very good to me

Post by 13 »

Just in case you don't get out there much, right now is a great time to hit up Weedon for some great action. Until the water temp drops, I can only assume it will continue to be productive. In the past month, I have hooked several reds & snooks, as well as some nice trout. I prefer to head out when it's low tide & fish the incoming tide. Snook are in the flats & much easier to find before the tide is hi, but it is a rough paddle if the tide is too low. You will find yourself walking some parts of the kayak trail during negative tides. Was out again just yesterday. Put my brother-in-law on a plus size trout & his 1st redfish (22"). I also pulled in a couple nice sized trout and one lil rat red. Unfortunately, we left disappointed because right after we decided to call it a day & paddle back into the mangrove maze, we spooked the biggest snook I have ever seen. No doubt in my mind it was around 40 inches. And that was before the tide came in. He put off more wake than my Tarpon 140. Anyways, just thought someone may like to know. Get there before it starts getting cold though. Contrary to popular belief, that plant doesn't put off warm water any more, so it's not as productive in the winter as it once was.
barrynfla

Re: Weedon has been very good to me

Post by barrynfla »

Not a bad day at all!! Sounds like you launched on the inside and fished the trail all the way thru to the outside. I've been wanting to do that but I've been advised that if you're not familiar with the trails it's easy to take the long, long way to the outside. I have a Malibu Mini-X and it's just too slow to paddle out and back from Gandy Beach.

Post by 13 »

Actually, I prefer to take my kayak on a cart about 5 minutes down the trail behind the visitor center. You will come to a picnic area where there is a launch that will put you about 5-10 minutes from the outside. Sometimes I launch from the inside though. Depends on tide and wind. Like I said though, I prefer fishing the outer edges of Weedon rather than the inside. The paddle from Gandy is a pretty rough paddle, but also a good place to launch if you wanna check out Weedon at night, and that's when you can find the big snook
rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by rugrat181 »

Really appreciate the tip on getting to fish the outside of Weedon without the long paddle around. Can hardly wait to check it out. Met you at the pic n sip in Sept. Congrats on your achievments in this last tournament. It was my first and I had the wrong address for the festivities. Otherwise I'd have congratulated you in person.
Looking forward to #3 in January as I have yet to fish DeSoto either.

Hope to see you there, Dave aka rugrat
:salute: :salute:
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S

Post by 13 »

I remember meeting you. And thanks. I was pretty happy to finally get into the top 3. And I love the Wang anchor! :thumbright: Ft D is my favorite place in warm weather, but I'm not a huge fan of it in the winter. I know those waters pretty well & will be fishing it a few times in the next month or two. Never opposed to fishing with new people. Send me a pm & we'll do some prefishin. I'll show you around.

Post by 13 »

Got back out there yesterday... Personal best of 10 reds. My buddy I went with also got 10. He was using live shrimp, but I stayed true to form and caught all mine with a silver spoon and paddle tails. My buddy also got a beast of a sheepshead in the flats and I pulled a 21" trout while trolling back to the launch. What an afternoon!!! Windy on our way out, but once the tide started in late in the afternoon, the wind dropped and fishing took off! :cheers: :bounce: :cheers:
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

Well Done J, Well Done!
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
UrbanLegend

Post by UrbanLegend »

Way to go Jus', I think I feel another vacation day coming on soon!!

Post by 13 »

You 2 better get back over here soon. Not too many great days like that left this year.