PFTS Chairman

Re: CRB - North or South?

Post by Todd »

You have to factor in beginners luck.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
ItsFriday

Post by ItsFriday »

Your character flaw is from being a Georgia fan! As a budding kayak fisherman you need to embrace the swamp!
"Hard work always beats talent, when talent doesnt work!" - Tim Tebow
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

ItsFriday wrote:Your character flaw is from being a Georgia fan! As a budding kayak fisherman you need to embrace the swamp!
Sorry man...too many bad memories there and then there's family to make it more personal.

I did go to one game there - AU vs FL when AU kicked a field goal to win with 6 seconds to go. The game was fun, but the heat - OMG. I freaked in the 3rd quarter going to the 4th. I was like - who the heck is this stranger putting his arm around me. I had no clue what was going on. I did do the gator bait thing by the third quarter, bourbon helped with the timing. Tail gating was a hoot and my father in law introduced me as the GA guy to all his FL buddies. Fair enough...

Alas it's the Tennessee stomp for me at Tallahassee. Spent 1 summer quarter there, took one class, and managed to get a C. Good bass fishing at Lake Seminole.

Yeah that pissed off my father in law and 3 brother in laws even more when I declared that allegiance. Hate runs deep in our family come Sep-Jan. That's OK - it keeps me warm at night. It's like I tell me son..."Son, just bottle up all that anger and then let it all out one day." My wife says not to kid like that. Who's kidding?
JB
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Todd wrote:You have to factor in beginners luck.

OK - here's a format that it open for debate. If it merits debating...

HOW [or insert favorite pf.com community support org here] Tourney - Vets vs. Rookies
80% of proceeds go to HOW

Team 1 - Vets >= 2 years on pf.com
Team 2 - Rookies < 2 years on pf.com

$15-20 entry fee

we'll need two teams 5-10 each (preferbly 10) - the numbers should match or extra fishing days can be allotted to lower member team
no limit on the # of fish submitted
redfish only
total inches measured per team
rookies get a handicap of 1.25 inches per fish - so multiply 1.25 on total at the end
all fish submitted to 321fish
2 weeks of fishing

team with most total inches wins the coveted virtual pf.com award; virtual walk of shame included for loser

top 2 anglers from both teams enter a raffle for the remaining 20% (80% goes to HOW) - so 50% of the 20% goes to one raffle winner from each team (I haven't done the math on this so it may need some tweaking)

no holds barred on what you fish - "embrace the bait" or "tote the artie" - your call

Seems like a decent start - no? HOW wins, teams compete, money doled out to top anglers for each team.

Now if you wanted to make it interesting - expand the format to include not just kayakers and just make it 5 years of fishing exp, versus > 5 years; make the pot bigger and include other forums - just an idea.
JB
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Dude, you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

Launch from Cockroach, go Left or Right, Find the fish, catch fish or not. Enjoy the day. Report back, or not.

If you want to donate to HOW, come out to the Demo Day.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Heywood wrote:Dude, you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

Launch from Cockroach, go Left or Right, Find the fish, catch fish or not. Enjoy the day. Report back, or not.

If you want to donate to HOW, come out to the Demo Day.
I didn't mean to make it more complicated; actually I was trying to do the opposite. Eliminate one area of CRB to fish. It's a pretty big area.

I think you can summarize the CRB portion of this thread as a) if you fish there beware of breakins, b) either direction is fine but it depends on the time of year.

I asked pretty much the same on Simmons and the answer fairly unanimous - go North. So that saved me about 2-3 weeks of figuring things ain't so good the other way.

Given that my time on the water is limited - I want fish better/more productive areas. Hence the original question.

So...given that, I'm heading South, explore, catch, release, and have some cold ones.

I'll be there on demo day sometime around 11-12ish. I went to the HOW website and I didn't see a place to donate local - it seemed it went to a national fund via paypal. I want the funds to stay local. How can I find you?

You can pm me if you want and we can declare this thread dead.
JB
Rik

CRB - North or South?

Post by Rik »

CRB - go south but cast north.

Simmons - keep going north so you don't harass the fish south
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by rugrat181 »

I'm a rookie but I'm in if accepted. Any form of gamblin just adds a little fuel to the "I gotta go fishin" fire that brings a sigh from the better half.
Hope to hear more !!!!
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 39&t=34899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM