Ft. Desoto

Flamingo to Big Bend
ahancock08

Ft. Desoto

Post by ahancock08 »

Has anyone fished Ft. Desota? I was going to take the Yak over there this weekend. Any tips, locations, baits/jigs?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Ft. Desoto

Post by DaveR »

Take a look at the destinations pages. Great info.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Post by 13 »

Little late on the response, but Ft D is still one of my favorite spots in the bay area. In the past two years, I can honestly say that I catch more Reds there now than Trout. Snook are coming back. There are just so many great spots all over that area. Havent been out fishing much at all this summer (NOT by choice), but I did get out there with a friend of mine last week. I slammed by 9:00 and he got his first Red, which just happened to be a fat 26 incher. We all have our spots for where we like to go to get certain fish, but overall, Ft D is still my favorite place to be. Bishops Harbor may be a close 2nd though. :thumbright:
ahancock08

Post by ahancock08 »

Awesome! Thanks for the reply...although I wish I wouldn't have read this while I'm stuck at the office for another 7 hours. Do you have a certain area that you park and put in? I have a truck and also a wheelez kayak cart, so I can transport the kayak pretty well. Also, do you usually use artificials for Reds? Thanks again.

Post by 13 »

As you head into Ft D, the road narrows from 4 lanes down to 2. As that happens, you will notice an area on your right where people launch all the time. Lots of mangrove islands just north of there. Good flats near the bridge just to the south. I use 1/2oz silver spoons, super spook jr's & when it's cold, I drag a paddle tail real slow along the bottom. Most come in by way of the spoon, but you gotta love the early morning top water explosions.
ahancock08

Post by ahancock08 »

Happy to report back that pulled a 37 inch Red out of the mangroves on Sunday. Thanks for all the info and I will def. be a regular out at Ft. Desoto!
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

ahancock08 wrote:Happy to report back that pulled a 37 inch Red out of the mangroves on Sunday. Thanks for all the info and I will def. be a regular out at Ft. Desoto!
Nice :thumbleft:
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I fish Todds hole when I am there :wink: There are plenty of other destinations on the destinations page also. Just try and stay NOTE
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
ahancock08

Post by ahancock08 »

Does anyone know of a good tide chart/schedule for this area?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I use the tides for Egmont Key.

Here are 2 sites on the web. I use my phone to get tides.

http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.d ... sites.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/florida-gulf-coast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
brunz36

Post by brunz36 »

Im a big fan of this app(Tide Graph 3.0), Im not sure if they have an android version.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tide-gra ... 20737?mt=8
kmeng

Post by kmeng »

brunz36 wrote:Im a big fan of this app(Tide Graph 3.0), Im not sure if they have an android version.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tide-gra ... 20737?mt=8

No Android version. I use "US Tides"
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive

Post by 13 »

ahancock08 wrote:Happy to report back that pulled a 37 inch Red out of the mangroves on Sunday. Thanks for all the info and I will def. be a regular out at Ft. Desoto!
Caught several 30+ down there, but never that big. Well done! Post us a pic. I didn't do so hot in the flats yesterday, but ended up catching a 22" grouper off the docks after I pulled the kayak out.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

That's a bull for sure, noice job.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve