Aquadream spoons

Flamingo to Big Bend
americanrobster

Re: Aquadream spoons

Post by americanrobster »

JoeS wrote:I mainly use Capt'n Mikes(AquaDream) Gold Spoons although I will use Johnsons as well......The one thing I will warn you about with Capt'n Mikes(AquaDream) is the Split ring can and will become a problem if you tie a Loop Knot......I spoke to Mike Hakala about this and he concurred the loop will work itself through the split ring and come off during a fight and sometimes just use without checking........I lost a huge Red a few years ago because the loop came off of the split ring...VLAP was with me and I am sure he will attest to this....I called Mike and he agreed it has happened to a few on more than one occasion, including himself.......I Tie a Snug Polomer Knot from my leader to the split ring no problems.....Just a little heads up......
Couldn't you just remove the split ring?
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

americanrobster wrote:
JoeS wrote:I mainly use Capt'n Mikes(AquaDream) Gold Spoons although I will use Johnsons as well......The one thing I will warn you about with Capt'n Mikes(AquaDream) is the Split ring can and will become a problem if you tie a Loop Knot......I spoke to Mike Hakala about this and he concurred the loop will work itself through the split ring and come off during a fight and sometimes just use without checking........I lost a huge Red a few years ago because the loop came off of the split ring...VLAP was with me and I am sure he will attest to this....I called Mike and he agreed it has happened to a few on more than one occasion, including himself.......I Tie a Snug Polomer Knot from my leader to the split ring no problems.....Just a little heads up......
You could remove it but some of the erratic wobble will also be gone, actually Mike said as a last resort remove the splitring....For me the Cinched up tight Palomar Knot works fine.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

JoeS wrote:
americanrobster wrote:
You could remove it but some of the erratic wobble will also be gone, actually Mike said as a last resort remove the splitring....For me the Cinched up tight Palomar Knot works fine.....
What if you were really good and tied a real small loop knot, would you still have this issue? :wink:
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Rik

Post by Rik »

If you removed the split ring your line would likely get cut by the edges of the metal of the spon.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Rik wrote:If you removed the split ring your line would likely get cut by the edges of the metal of the spon.
What Rik said......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I have taken the split ring off of every AquaDreams spoon that I have had (except the first one, which I lost because my loop knot worked it's way off of the split ring), and tie a loop knot directly to the hole in the top of the spoon. I've not had an issue with it losing action, or breaking my line. I have caught some big fish this way, and pulled on them hard. It's no guarantee, but I wouldn't avoid trying it if you think it will work for you.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

ChrisR wrote:I have taken the split ring off of every AquaDreams spoon that I have had (except the first one, which I lost because my loop knot worked it's way off of the split ring), and tie a loop knot directly to the hole in the top of the spoon. I've not had an issue with it losing action, or breaking my line. I have caught some big fish this way, and pulled on them hard. It's no guarantee, but I wouldn't avoid trying it if you think it will work for you.
Happened to you too Chris????Really pisses ya off.....lol....
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

JoeS wrote:
ChrisR wrote:I have taken the split ring off of every AquaDreams spoon that I have had (except the first one, which I lost because my loop knot worked it's way off of the split ring), and tie a loop knot directly to the hole in the top of the spoon. I've not had an issue with it losing action, or breaking my line. I have caught some big fish this way, and pulled on them hard. It's no guarantee, but I wouldn't avoid trying it if you think it will work for you.
Happened to you too Chris????Really pisses ya off.....lol....
Mine makes 3...I was like WTF!! None lost on swivels. You could always add a simple barrel swivel - I use the snap in there to swap out quickly (err...lazily).
JB
Rik

Post by Rik »

Chris, that really surprises me. Believe you but surprised. I would have bet money that it would have cut the leader.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

At first I thought it might cut it too, but figured it was worth a shot. I tied the knot and pulled hard on it while moving it around the full range of motion on the spoon, and it was fine. I've done it with 15-30 lb, typically flouro. Perhaps one day I will regret it when I lose a big fish, but until then, I'll just use the loop knot. I've never been a fan of the barrel swivel, and the way I work a spoon doesnt really twist the line up.
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

I have had issues with a loop knot working its way through a split ring, but not had any issues after switching over to a uni.
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

JoseC wrote:I have had issues with a loop knot working its way through a split ring, but not had any issues after switching over to a uni.
I have used the Uni as well........Just more comfortable with the Polomar......