Father and Son Slam

Flamingo to Big Bend
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Father and Son Slam

Post by Norm »

I know this subject gets talked about pretty extensively here, but it never gets old...and the older you and your children get, the more precious the moments and the more appreciated they become. I can remember when I first started taking him fishing how frustrated I would get how after the first ten minutes of fishing....he would end up on the floor of the boat playing with the plastic worms. My undying hope was that he would eventually become infected with the fishing bug just like me. I persisted :wink:
I think I can now say with a good deal of confidence he is at least partially infected. Later this month he will leave for his summer sojourn and won't return till just before Thanksgiving. This time he was the one that suggested..."Lets go fishing Dad". Thursday we headed out to EG Simmons. As it turned out...the wind was blowing again :roll: Daniel drew first blood with a nice fat 16in trout and I was producing nothing except a sore arm from casting. Finally just had to take a break from the wind and found this nice little cove loaded with mullet.
I just had a feeling there had to be some reds lurking somewhere ...and sure nuff :cheers: I was pleased how this picture turned out since it was taken with my phone.
We fished a bit longer with no further takers...so decided to work our way back to the launch. The wind had abated some, but I was more intrigued by the outgoing tide, so I decided to stop and work one of the bigger passes there. Meanwhile my son found this little 22in beauty just off one of the points.
I would have loved for him to catch his first slam with me, but I will take him getting two-thirds of it any day. It was a great day together...finished off by enjoying that red on the grill, a couple of adult beverages and a good cigar together. Life is good :!:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
JoeS

Re: Father and Son Slam

Post by JoeS »

Good memories for you Norm......Very Nice.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

My kids are young and I am hoping for days like this one with your son....great report.
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Well done to you both!
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
Ump608

Post by Ump608 »

Great story and memories, I remember years ago when the 23yr old ( soon to be a swore ATL PD officer) was small he used to call worms (wigglers) "shrimps" and shrimp "squirels".
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

TRKpoker wrote:My kids are young and I am hoping for days like this one with your son....great report.
So you want to borrow Norm's son? :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

The Father Son crap is way overrated takes way too many years to develop :roll: ......Now GRANDSONS......They know from birth who Papap is and how Brilliant he is :cheers: :cheers: .......Give me Grandsons or Granddaughters anyday...... :cool: :cool: :cool:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I'm in your camp Norm, Wonderyboy is now asking to go. "Getting up early is just a part of it." Took forever for him to come around to that.

I'm working on the bullpen - Sat we Mack'ed up. It helps when you bring a friend for her; btw - fishing with girls is VERY different than boys. Gotta be comfy and a low "EWWWW" factor.

For now we stinkpot and chuck bait. I suspect in a year or so I can get her in the kayak - seems age 13/14 in the number that works at our house.

Regardless getting them out is the key.

JB
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Spitting image.
1 1 12?
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

SRQGator wrote:Spitting image.
He is a handsome kid isn't he :cool: :!:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

JoeS wrote:The Father Son crap is way overrated takes way too many years to develop :roll: ......Now GRANDSONS......They know from birth who Papap is and how Brilliant he is :cheers: :cheers: .......Give me Grandsons or Granddaughters anyday...... :cool: :cool: :cool:

If only you could go to grandsons, without having the kids first.

I could handle a grandson for the occasional fishing trip and fun outings, but all the other crap that comes with kids, not for me.

:mrgreen:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

The Father Son crap is way overrated takes way too many years to develop ......Now GRANDSONS......They know from birth who Papap is and how Brilliant he is .......Give me Grandsons or Granddaughters anyday......
I still do like fishing with my boys but Colton and Brae are so much more fun.

Time to kidnap them for the weekend and hit the beaches... :D
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club